85 omc cobra 3.0

85 omc

Cadet
I have an 85 omc cobra 3.0 an I have water leakin in around the shift cable is this a shift bellows issue an does the engine have to be removed to fix this or is there another way to repair it thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 85 omc cobra 3.0

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Are We talkin' a Cobra drive, or a Stringer drive,..??

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

the engine stays in, the shift cable bellows is serviced from the rear of the boat after the drive is removed.

85 omc

Cadet

Its a cobra drive an I have a clymer manual I know it isnt the best but is all I have. I searched u tube for videos an all I can find is stuff on mercruisers. So the engine does not have to come out?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There are no shift cable bellows at the drive in a Cobra and Cobras didn't come out until 1986. On a Cobra here is a little 3 inch long one that sits at the top of the shift tube where the cable exits it up near the engine.

The shift hose and boot I am referring to are in the following drawing, items 85 and 36 on a 1986 Cobra.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/o...acturer=OMC+Stern+Drive&section=Transom+Mount

You should post a picture of your drive so we know what you really have.

85 omc

Cadet

Ok ill try to get pics up but my cocern is does the engine have to come out. I can reach around the motor an fell water comin in throught were the cable comes through the transome