85 HP Chrysler voltage regulator burn out ...

beachcraft

Cadet
I need to find out why my voltage regulator keep burning out.<br />I check the AC voltage from the stator ouput at the AC input of<br />the voltage regulator is around 40 to 65 VAC at low to high RPM. <br />Does this is a normal range?<br /><br />I could get 15VDC from the regulator w/o connecting the output of<br />the regulator, but if I connect to the load, it will heat up and burn out.<br />The current is around 1 to 4 amp when charging. My engine is running<br />fine w/o charging.<br /><br />Please help. <br /><br /> :)

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 85 HP Chrysler voltage regulator burn out ...

Hello beachcraft,<br />Did you check the rectifier diods with an ohmmeter? Is this a new one ? sure dosn't seem like 4 amps would cause it burn up, how are you checking the current output? It sounds as if there is a short somewhere down stream from the regulator.<br />Let us know

beachcraft

Cadet
Re: 85 HP Chrysler voltage regulator burn out ...

Hi captain,<br /><br />I connect the wire through a current meter to measure the current. To check for short in the system, I remove the power<br />supply and test for short, the Ohm meter shows no leak.<br /><br />Is it possible that the stator that output range is not regulated or<br />the voltage is too high that the voltage regulator could not <br />regulate the voltage under load? The stator voltage is 40-65 VAC ???? I wonder when the stator is bad, will it still provide output voltage ??? <br /><br />Does any one know the normal output voltage of the outboard stator ???<br /><br />Thanks,