85 hp ('75) missing at any throttle

Wreck Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Interesting weekend of engine failures, I'm asking for help in diagnosis please! (1975, 84 hp, V4, powershift II, model 85ESL75E, running 50:1)<br /> :confused: <br />Saturday we zoomed out to a remote SCUBA site in Lake Ontario, the engine ran perfectly first time in the water after 3 weeks on the trailer, just like it did many times this season. After an hour at anchor it started up perfectly and got on plane but within a minute sounded like it was missing and running rough, we headed for shore but the situation got immediately worse so shut it down. After looking and seeing nothing unusual we tried to start but found the flywheel would not turn at all, starter was engaging the flyweel strongly but not turning. By hand it felt completely solid.<br />-<br />Back on shore we checked the gas for oil (colour was perfect), pulled the plugs (all had correct gap), put some 1+1 gas/oil mix in each cylinder and waited. After 30 minutes of waiting the starter motor slowly edged the flywheel around (1 tooth per try) and then freed it up.<br />-<br />During a water trial that afternoon it ran like a top at all throttle settings including idle, power was exactly as expected.<br />-<br />Next day it ran well for about a minute on the way out to another remote site in Lake Ontario then started missing and lost some power. Not wanting to repeat the 8 hour adventure we had getting home on Saturday we motored back into dock. Back home we drained and flushed the carb bowls, checked flow through the fuel pump, checked the fuel line was holding pressure, sprayed the coils and plug wires with WD-40, checked connections at the power pack were tight, realized there was no air filter, checked choke and throttle butterflies were moving freely - everything looked fine (except the missing air filter). Water trial confirmed loss of power and intermittent missing. Tried switching between our two fuel tanks and pumped the primer during operation but saw no pattern.<br />-<br />Does anyone recognize this performance problem? And was the Saturday seize-up related somehow?<br />This boating season has been fantastic, sure would like to have another next year without spending an arm and a leg on a new motor. Thanks in advance.

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 85 hp ('75) missing at any throttle

You better pull your spark plugs and the head covers. It sounds like you are having a major failure. If you continue to run it like it is it will leave you walking. Sounds like ring failure or water intrusion. Please post your results as we all can learn from this.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

First do a compression test. Compression should be within 10% on all cylinders. It sounds like mayber you are in early stages of eating a piston, hopefully not.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Before ripping the motor apart and assuming the worst do the compression check as Jim has suggested and get back to us. While you are at it describe what the plugs look like and relate what they look like to the cylinder & compression reading. Also let us know how easy it is to turn the motor over by hand with the plugs out - - then turn the motor over with the starter and let us know if it seems to bind up (need to ground the plugs for this).<br /><br />Finally check & clean all the cables to the battery & solinoid. I'm wondering if the problem might be as simple as intermitant electric power due to cruddy connections.

Wreck Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll post information as soon as I have it, unfortunately the boat is in semi-storage 2 hours away right now so it'll take at least 10 days to get at it. Thanks for the info and I will keep you posted.

Wreck Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In case anyone's still interested in this old story, here's the e'mail I received from the repair shop today. Not good news but life is still good!!<br /><br />Oh, and of course we did buy this 25 year old boat and motor for a song, then didn't treat it very carefully, so we certainly deserve what we got in the end - just in case anyone was going to point that out for me! ;) <br /><br />>>Hi Andrew! <br /><br />Just spent an hour doing an assessment on your engine. Here is what we found:<br /><br /> :( The engine either overheated due to a lack of water, or the carburetors simply starved the engine of fuel and it ran lean until it tightened up.<br /> :eek: All four (4) pistons need to be replaced and cylinders rehoned; problem here is, the engine has already been overhauled at least once. Right now the pistons are .030" oversized, the meximum recommended oversize for a piston.<br /> :confused: It doesn't look as though the carbs have been touched since new, i.e. no carb kits replaced as maintenance. Eventually this will cause engine failure as the engine needs the correct air/fuel mixture to run properly<br /> :( All four (4) ignition coils show cracks on their casings, which will allow current to escape; this current is used to ignite the spark plugs; all four need to replaced<br /> :confused: Gearcase oil: the oil came out very sludgy, which suggests water in the gearcase and other impurities<br /><br />So to make a long story short, our estimate to repair this engine would be $1500-$2000. I would be reluctant to spend money to overhaul this engine, since running in top shape the engine is perhaps worth $1000. Right now, we're at $80 (taxes included) for the assessment. You might better entertain the idea of looking for a replacement motor and having us rig it for you before spring. In any case, it's your decision Andrew, and I respect whatever path you would like us to take. Just let us know how we can help and we'll go from there!<br /><br />Doug