85 Bayliner Capri - 125 Force Outboard - Very low speed

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 Bayliner Capri - 125 Force Outboard - Very low speed

You've got to still be dropping spark on some cylinders under load.

MemoryMaker

Cadet

Took the boat out today again. Went 25 mph at WOT and hit 3,100 RPMs...this sucks! What causes it to lose spark when adding weight? Even with three people it only went 30mph. Could it need a stator? Someone told me to try some sea foam, is that a good idea? Also, when it's in neutral it only revs up to about 2,000 RPMs - is that suppose to happen? Is there a governor restricting how it revs up in neutral?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Check to see if the carbs are opening all the way.
Get 4 in-line sparkies and see if the plugs are firing under way.
outboardignition.com check this site for test procedures.It will help you to test the stator.It's easy to check!!!!
No reason to throw parts at it.
Your boat should do close to 40.J

MemoryMaker

Cadet

Check to see if the carbs are opening all the way.
Get 4 in-line sparkies and see if the plugs are firing under way.
outboardignition.com check this site for test procedures.It will help you to test the stator.It's easy to check!!!!
No reason to throw parts at it.
Your boat should do close to 40.J

Thanks Jerry! I need some clarification though...

'Check to see if the carbs are opening all the way.' - How do I check this? Or do you mean clean out the carbs? Could dirty carbs cause my boat to lose so much power?

'Get 4 in-line sparkies and see if the plugs are firing under way.' - I don't understand what this means, can you clarify?

Could the cause of my slow boat be that it is waterlogged? When I pull the plug after a day on the lake, no water comes out at all. I assume this is a good thing...

Someone told me to try some sea foam, is that a good idea?

Also, when it's in neutral it only revs up to about 2,000 RPMs - is that suppose to happen? Is there a governor restricting how it revs up in neutral? I am only getting 3,000 rpms at WOT...

MemoryMaker

Cadet

I am going camping this weekend and bringing the boat and my cousin who knows more about working on boats than I do. Here are some things we are going to try out:

1. He is going to do a de-carb using the seafoam spray and follow the instructions from the FAQ section of the forum.
2. We are going to try and squeeze the bulb when at WOT. I dont think its a fuel issue, but we will see what happens.
3. He is going to bring his timing light so we can see if we there is no fire or intermittent fire on any of the cylinders at WOT.

Is there any other easy test we can do? I am going to see if he can test the trigger and stator too.

Last question: How do I check the vent line on the tank? Where is it and what do I look for?