'85 7.5hp, rebuilt water pump. Still issues with water flow to engine

ianmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man. It is tough with these old parts. I ordered a shiftshaft seal from marineengine. OEM part from the parts list(all attached to my motor by serial number). Got it and tried to install it in the old bushing>

I've never installed a shift shaft seal before. Tried to install using a mandrel, but almost impossible to get it in(the old one came out easily) and now I've warped the bushing trying to get it to seat completely.

Totally baffled at what's going on. Is it possible that the bushing was not the right one? It sat correctly on the shiftshaft and did what it was supposed to.

I've ordered a new bushing, but now don't know what to do for a seal to fit.

This is the bushing I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255539318781
If I put this seal in, flat side up, it(in theory) should go in relatively easy..Yes?

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpeg
    IMG_2734.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1

ianmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've ordered the 2 linked Ebay listings. They are both OEM mercury. I am assuming/hoping that the bushing was maybe an off brand, and that these will fit correctly together

ianmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've ordered the 2 linked Ebay listings. They are both OEM mercury. I am assuming/hoping that the bushing was maybe an off brand, and that these will fit correctly together
I just found a suggestion that says the "lip of the seal should be facing the outside" in an online manual. I've always thought that with an oil seal of any type the lip would face the contained oil, but maybe its the other way around

ianmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
More of the same...Is there some issue with quality control on these Mercury OEM parts?
I got the Mercury water pump rebuild kit
18-3446 - Water Pump Kit 46-70941A3
Got the mercury impeller Drive key 28-8M0032835

Was reassembling water pump and spent 30 minutes trying to get impeller into water pump base, and over key. Again, both of these are Mercury parts.
When I realized it wasn't going to work, I took the key out and you can probably see that the groove and the key do not match at all. I'm sending an email to the company, but curious if anyone has run into this. Pretty frustratingIMG_2737.jpeg