85 150 XR2 Gear Shifting Problem

bcorradi

Cadet
This spring when i tested the motor while hooking it up to my hose the motor doesn't seem to go in gear (forward or reverse). I took off the motor cowling and it seems to moving the cable correctly to supposedly engage it for both forward and reverse, but it isn't engaging. When I put the motor away for the winter and all last summer it was working fine. Any ideas/suggestions?

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: 85 150 XR2 Gear Shifting Problem

Bump...any ideas?

1. Was the engine running when you tried to shift it?

2. Were you shifting it from the control while someone watched it move the shifter linkage at the motor?

j_martin

Admiral

I notice that ya live where you can walk on water for about 8 months out of the year. Did the LU have water in the lube over winter?

bcorradi

Cadet

1. Was the engine running when you tried to shift it?

2. Were you shifting it from the control while someone watched it move the shifter linkage at the motor?
Hi there,

Yes the engine was running and I had someone watch the shifter linkage while I shifted it.

bcorradi

Cadet

I notice that ya live where you can walk on water for about 8 months out of the year. Did the LU have water in the lube over winter?
Its actually 9 months out of the year when we can walk on water :) . Good point I'm not sure, but that could be quite possible.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Given the last response, my first move would be to drain the lower unit and see what comes out.

bcorradi

Cadet

Yeah I think your probably right. I'll do that and keep you guys updated.

I think its logical that something moved/broke by mother nature due to water being in the lower unit. That is the only thing that makes sense considering it worked fine when I parked it for the winter.

j_martin

Admiral

Yeah I think your probably right. I'll do that and keep you guys updated.

I think its logical that something moved/broke by mother nature due to water being in the lower unit. That is the only thing that makes sense considering it worked fine when I parked it for the winter.

If you had that much water in the LU, it's toast by now.

BTW, that's why winterizing always includes changing the LU lube. The reason is to detect and/or evict any water in it before freezing kills it.

hope it helps
John

bcorradi

Cadet

Your probably right and I should have been proactive and winterized it. What is strange is that the housing/case isn't cracked at all.