85 115hp I6 Flooding?

Puddy905

Seaman Apprentice
Ok. So this motor is pissing me off. I got rid of a great running mariner 75 and "upgraded" to the 115, which has been a nightmare. So here's what has been done.....completely rebuilt lower unit, seals, waterpump, impeller. All three carbs professionally rebuilt, set, linked and timing set. So, this motor is a pain in the butt to start when it's cold. The problem is whenever it starts to fire, the starter disengages, not giving that extra push to actually start the motor, so eventually the motor floods before it will start.
The other problem is when it is put under load, it stalls, then sometimes is hard to start. It does this whether it has been running for an hour or 30 seconds. Being a snowmobile guy, I'm not 100% comfortable on the outboards, but can work my way around them with the manual. To me, it seems like it is loading up with fuel on idle and choking itself out when put under load. It runs perfect once you get going.
PLEASE someone help out...the motor is getting a last chance this week.
Thanks

Puddy905

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 85 115hp I6 Flooding?

Ok. So this motor is pissing me off. I got rid of a great running mariner 75 and "upgraded" to the 115, which has been a nightmare. So here's what has been done.....completely rebuilt lower unit, seals, waterpump, impeller. All three carbs professionally rebuilt, set, linked and timing set. So, this motor is a pain in the butt to start when it's cold. The problem is whenever it starts to fire, the starter disengages, not giving that extra push to actually start the motor, so eventually the motor floods before it will start.
The other problem is when it is put under load, it stalls, then sometimes is hard to start. It does this whether it has been running for an hour or 30 seconds. Being a snowmobile guy, I'm not 100% comfortable on the outboards, but can work my way around them with the manual. To me, it seems like it is loading up with fuel on idle and choking itself out when put under load. It runs perfect once you get going.
PLEASE someone help out...the motor is getting a last chance this week.
Thanks

Sorry, motor is an 82. My mistake. And plugs have been replaced as well.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

link and sync the carbs...follow the FAQ engine and youll see the how to write up.

Puddy905

Seaman Apprentice

I will give it a try. Strangely today, after I finally got it started, it idled a lot lower than usual (around 600) and ofcourse kept stalling, but when I throttled up to 900, it was fine, so I'm thinking maybe the RPM guage wasn't reading properly?? I will link/sync and set the idle properly under load.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Puddy, That motor should never flood. They need lots of choke to start, but are almost impossible to flood.

Make sure the carbs do not leak fuel when pumping the primer bulb. If they do, your professional carb serviceman made a mistake.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

the only time I ever saw flooding on these motors was when the carb float stop working after THE FLOAT got cracked and filled up with gasoline IT ALLOWED UNCONTROLLABLE CONTINUOUS FLOW OF FUEL TO THE CARB, and when it does that youll know. We took the cowl off and started the motor and fuel came pouring out the "overflow" of the carb. check for that.

johnbrabant

Cadet

Sounds like you and I are having similar problems. I at this point am of the belief that my problem (stalling at low rpm in neutral, and when put in gear) is electrical, possibly the switchbox or stator. I just posted questions in this regard. Keep an eye on my post, the answers to it may help you as well.

-John Brabant - 1986 115 Merc I6

Puddy905

Seaman Apprentice

Well, before the carbs were rebuilt, it was leaking badly out of all three carbs. Now they don't leak, but I certainly think there is more than enough fuel in the throats to cause flooding. I am going to go through the manual and reset the idle mix screws and then set the idle speed under load and see what happens.

vhuevos7

Seaman

I was having similar problems with my 175 when i first got the boat a few years ago. My problem was when I would start it i was giving to much throtle and not pushing the key in to choke. I baked off to about a quarter throttle choke it a little and know its starts right up. Now when i start it is a little picky if i dont have just the right amount of throttle. Mine is an around an 1982 model maybe yours is picky like mine.

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same kind of problem with my 1985 90 it ended up being my stator was on the way out and wasn't firing nice spark any more.

Puddy905

Seaman Apprentice

Ya, I kind of noticed my starting procedure wasn't perfect, but I also find that there isn't much of a range on the "throttle only" mode. As for the stator, that is a posibility. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for one and replace it anyways.

Puddy905

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. So I pulled the fuel pump and found the diaphram to be pretty hard, and the mesh was full of sand and bits of rubber, so I'm thinking I should change out the pickup line in my tank. I'm thinking once I fix up the pump and line, it should be all good!! Thanks for the help y'all.