'84 Starcraft Alum. Crack in splashrail - need ideas for protection.

tinrunner2

Cadet
1984 Starcraft Mod. Vee Bass Boat developed a crack along the outer edge of the splashrail (see pics). I've had it welded, but I'd like to cover both sides with something for a protective cushion. I'm open to suggestions - I don't know if keelguard would be flexible enough to cover it the way I want to - and it's expensive!.
What ever material I use would need to be approx. 3" wide by about 12 or 13 feet long (no need to go much further than that).
Suggestions & ideas much appreciated!
Thanks, guys!!

Pics are at http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k515/gbapperson/1984 Starcraft Bass Boat/

tinrunner2

Cadet
Re: '84 Starcraft Alum. Crack in splashrail - need ideas for protection.

I'm thinking of masking off the hull above and below the splash rail & using spray-on bed liner. Two or three coats should give it the protection and cushion it needs.
I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Pictures are not working.

Do not "cover" problems and please do not use bedliner. It will lead to nightmare future problems.

Welding is the best way to repair a crack....... next would be a metal patch riveted in......... and for small cracks or imperfections the last would be JB Weld (which does not offer strength).

tinrunner2

Cadet

I've already had the crack welded; it's fixed. I'm considering something to cushion the edge splash rail.