84 Mercury 25XD won’t tilt!

jinxd12

Seaman Apprentice
Back from a few years hiatus with a boat, got the itch again and picked up a decent boat for cheap.

I have gone through this 84 Mercury 25XD, and the last thing I think I need to solve is...I can't get it to tilt unless I remove the pin.

YES, I do have the washer on the shift shaft!! I know someone will be quick to answer with that haha. It will also not tilt when put in gear.

It's a tiller motor and I just serviced the oil and impeller, everything works as it's supposed to.

I've cleaned and lubed all the small moving parts best I could, if I gently pry up on the washer the motor will tilt, just wondering what else I could be missing.

I tried to search everything online for the last 2 days, with no luck. Hoping someone has an opinion!

Attachments

• 99453-bd91e5f9978d69cf9b02e6b2b5bce395.data.jpeg
    99453-bd91e5f9978d69cf9b02e6b2b5bce395.data.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 99454-7eeaf85e4fc7384f79bac26785433ab8.data.jpeg
    99454-7eeaf85e4fc7384f79bac26785433ab8.data.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 12

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The U hook on the end of the tilt shaft looks bent up. Tilt the motor up and watch the rod. Does it move at all? Does it pull up the hooks?

Last edited:

jinxd12

Seaman Apprentice
It may look like that in the picture but it’s not bent in person, not sure how you would even bend that, it’s a pretty stout piece of metal.

I suppose I could look to push it down somehow, but I dont want to break the little plastic tab/screw connection the shifter link attaches to.

jinxd12

Seaman Apprentice
Well good luck with your motor.
I went out and looked and poked around with it. The shift shaft doesn’t look to bent or out of position in any of its travels Up or down.

I think I may remove the clip and screw today, try and see if I can tell if the washer is possibly bent instread.

jinxd12

Seaman Apprentice
You do know it needs to be in forward to tilt the motor right?
Yup, as stated in the original post!

Solved the issue tonight, I removed the cowls for better access to everything and started poking around. I used a screwdriver to gently pry on things while I tried tilting.
Where the shift shaft comes out of the lower unit there was buildup of crud, grease, and whatever else was making the shaft tough to put in gear sometimes.
I removed the buildup with some degreaser and a small pick, and put a lil grease on everything. Everything works as it should now.

@flyingscott the shift shaft wasn’t “bent” but it was being pushed off center of up and down so realistically the shaft part was bending a little bit when put in gear, GREAT eyes! I wouldnt of pulled it all apart to prove you wrong if you didn’t say “good luck with your motor”, that made me mad for a second haha.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Seems to be a common theme nowadays. People ask for help and then get mad about the advice.

jinxd12

Seaman Apprentice
Seems to be a common theme nowadays. People ask for help and then get mad about the advice.
Nah, your comment “good luck with your motor” wasn’t advice. You were being a d@!k , just like this last comment. Doesn’t add anything to make the post and or forum better. Just makes you sound like a grumpy old man!

Problem is solved, thanks for the help!