'84 Merc 50, 4cyl, 2 stroke: air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
"air filter" was the only word I could think of for my heading.

The new-to-me engine described above (Ser # 6540519) has absolutely nothing upstream of the carburetors. That is, there is nothing connected to the intake side of the carburetors -- nothng for filtering or silencing.

Reference to parts microfiche doesn't show anything either, at least not to my eye.

Is this engine missing some sort of screen, silencing chamber, or are the open carbs as it was designed?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: '84 Merc 50, 4cyl, 2 stroke: air filter?

No need for an air filter. Not much in the way of dust over the water..

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

There never was anything over the carbs on the original 4 cyl Merc engines. Later on they put what is referred to as an "air box" on them apparently to help to suppress engine noises emanating from the carb venturi. They had all kinds of baffles and pipes and all. May have had a secondary use as a mpg improvement. I had a 85hp of about that year that had the air box. Later on I bought a '88 115 tower (6 cyl) and it didn't have one but again the 6 cyl was an old original design. I now have a later model 90 3 cyl which has one. Still no air filter for the reason stated by Mr. Chinewalker.

HTH,
Mark

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, I didn't expect a filter, but did want to be specific about where any device might be located. Thanks to Adm. Texasmark for the answer. There is quite a bit of noise from a two stroke carb, but at least it's over the stern on my new-to-me pontoon boat.

Thanks again

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I am thinking about trying to hang a piece of cloth over those open carburetors to keep debris out when I trailer it down the road. I could keep them cleaner if the boat was on the water all of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.