84 125 Chrylser - troubleshooting help plz

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 84 125hp was running OK at the weekend after I rebuilt the carbs - 35mph with 5 people, full gas tank on a 19' Bayliner - seemed to top out at 4000rpm but pulled ok.

Went to take the boat out of the water today and it's having trouble starting and when I drive around to the ramp it's only running on what seems to be 2 cylinders - boat will not get up at all.

Start diagnosing today and I find an orange and red wire under the flywheel are rubbed bare - not broken but frayed with bare wires.

The red wire goes to one of the CDI blocks (closest to the carbs) and the orange wire goes to the other CDI block.

I taped up the wires temporarily and started the engine - the bottom 2 cylinders are running fine but the top 2 are having problems - I know the top cylinder is sparking cos I touched the lead and it shocked me :( - not sure about number 2 cylinder.

However when I disconnected each coil in turn using the quick connectors on the back of each coil, disconnected 3 or 4 stopped the engine but disconnecting 1 or 2 made no apparent difference - still sounds like a 2 cylinder.

I disconnected the carb linkages and if I open the throttle on the bottom carb it revs the engine albeit roughly. If I open the throttle on the top carb it starts to rev a little but then the engine stops suddenly. It may also backfire.

Is it possible for one CDI box to only spark one cylinder or if they fail do they fail completely?

Where can I find a used CDI box?

I tested the compression a few hours ago at 150psi on all 4 cylinders.

Timing is set at 30 degrees statically and the mixture needles are both 1 1/2 turns open.

Any thoughts or ideas??

Thanks

Steve

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 84 125 Chrylser - troubleshooting help plz

outboardignition.com Has test procedures for CD's.And stators/triggers.
It's possible to spark just one.Sent you a PM.J

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks J

Does anyone have a circuit diagram for an 84 Force/Chrysler 125 as the one I have doesn't have all the wire colors listed (especially the orange) and I'm having a hard time identifying the test procedure that http://www.outboardignition.com/page6.asp gives.

I need to see if it's a damaged stator or a CD pack.

Can the flywheel be removed with a normal flywheel puller or does it need a special tool?

Thanks!

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for that - unfortunately there is no wiring diagram in that manual.

Any others?

Steve

labawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did you fix your problem or find a CDI yet? if not pm me. I have a black one that I cut the wires off. You can crimp and splice your wires onto this unit. Was working fine but upgraded to all blue ones if you call it that. Just pay shipping cost.