82 Evinrude Tilt/Trim- Please help this time

I have an 82 Evinrude 115 v4 experiencing power tilt/trim problems. I bought the boat off a guy real cheap last summer because he said the tilt/trim was out. We got it home and topped off the fluid and cleaned off the contact points and it worked again, but the seals leaked. Now a year later it is having problems again. I can hear the electric motor running when I try to move the engine up and down but it is staying up all the way. (No, the engine is not locked into place with the locking lever mechanism). I figure it is probably best to just replace the whole unit since it was already leaking and is corroded pretty badly from saltwater. How hard off a job is it to change out the tilt/trim? I have already found one on Ebay. It looks like two bolts at the bottom and a pin at the top to knock out to remove the tilt/trim. I also know that I will have to support the engine while I am replacing the unit. Any tips on changing out the tilt/trim would be appreciated. Thanks

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 82 Evinrude Tilt/Trim- Please help this time

Will it go down if you assist it by hand? If so you very well may not have an internal problem at all. I have a 79 115 that needs constant lubrication of the pins at the end of the single lift cylinders. Spray lubricant, let sit, spray again. Start with WD40, then switch to an oil that will stay in there if the WD40 helps. Keeping working the tilt up and down as you use the spray. You may also want to lubricat the tilt pin.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Did you try getting it to lower with the manual realease? You have to get to it from the starboard transom bracket. Look at the bracket from the side and you will see a large screw head. This is the manual release. Turn it counter clockwise 2 > 3 turns. Engine should lower.<br /><br />EDIT: Here's the link for the BRP web site. Click on engine diagrams and follow the prompts. You can see the parts breakdown of your engine and what you have to do to change out the TNT unit.<br /><br /> http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/

I tried to turn the screw but this is an old motor with lots of saltwater use, so it broke in half at the head when I attempted to turn it.

Walker

Captain

Sounds like its going to be a bear to get the old unit out the way you describe the corrosion.. This is the way I do those tough ones.<br />Drive the top pin out. I've never had one I couldn't get out with the help of some heat. <br />The bottom pin is a different story. It usually isn't frozen to the mounting brackets but is frozen to the T&T. <br />So I hoist the engine off the boat and split the mounting brackets and take them off from either side. Reverse procedure with new T&T unit.

Thanks for the input, maybe I will get lucky and the bottom ones will come out, they dont look bad at all. The manual release screw was the only one that had corrosion on it. The actual motor itself on the T/T is corroded badly too. I sure hope I dont have to take the motor off the boat because that is beyond my skills. Where can I get PB blaster?

Does anyone know where I could get PB blaster? Is it safe to heat the bolt after it has been sprayed on it?<br />Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Probably any good auto store like NAPA would carry PB. Any time you put heat on anything with petroleum in it, be careful. Yes, it will burn.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

PB blaster, also takes paint off , real good.<br /><br /> Just a note , try to keep it off painted surfaces, if possible.<br /><br /> Good - Luck,<br /><br /> KYhunter

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Now I have another question regarding my Tilt/Trim. I am the current high bidder on a tilt/trim unit that came off a mid 80's Evinrude 115. The unit looks identical to mine. It says it is a "3 wire". When I look at mine it looks like mine is a 2 wire. Will it be very hard to make this one work on mine?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The 2 wire PTT system incorporates a dual relay electrical system. The 3 wire incorporates a single solenoid setup.<br /><br />You can switch the electric motors if your present 3 wire is in good shape, otherwise you'll be required to obtain the relay wiring system.