82 bayliner, volvo penta WOT problems...what prop to use?

kudos0000

Recruit
I have had my 82' bayliner with a 4 cylinder volvo penta aq125 for a year or two and never really had any issues with it. now i have noticed my WOT rpm is only about 2200 to 2500 rpm? shouldn't it be around 4500 to 5000? and maybe.. a little reduction in speed..

my gps says TOP speed is 27, to 29 still motor sounds a little different than i remember.

does anybody know what WOT should be? and what TOP SPEED should be with the correct rpm at full throttle? it would be much appreciated!!

( i also have an aftermarket prop on this boat and was interested in knowing what --in any-- prop would make a speed performance differance, i have the stock volvo prop and they are about identical. they are a 3 blade)

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 82 bayliner, volvo penta WOT problems...what prop to use?

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

I didn't know Bayliner made an 82-foot boat!:p

If you were able to reach the proper WOT RPMs (4600 - 4800 RPM, I think) in the past with your current prop, the engine isn't running up to snuff. It could be anything from gas gone bad (or contaminated by water) to worn spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, or points; carb problems, etc.

Props can look very similar but have significantly different pitches. Anything embossed on them?

ebates321

Recruit
Re: 82 bayliner, volvo penta WOT problems...what prop to use?

there is a switch on the tach 4 or 8 sounds like it is reading the wrong rpm range