81 starcraft SS

ssmyth

Cadet
i have a 81 16' starcraft SS that i got last year. the interior is close to complete. i was wondering on options for repainting the hull. it does not leak, but there are small scraches and nicks in the paint. is it better to strip and start over or repaint over top of old paint? buget is slim right now, what options and aprox cost would it be to undertake this project. dont have to do it this year if i need to save some more. it has the sticker stripes down the rear half. would they need to be removed?
also, i want to put a permanent gas tank in the rear. any ideas? would have to take a few peices of foam out to get the 18 gal tank in there i want to get. would this be a problem? any ideas would be great.
thanks in advance.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 81 starcraft SS

Welcome to iboats.

First.... do not strip the old paint ....just scuff it up with some 320 grit paper and paint over it.

The small nicks need to be sanded and will leave bare aluminum ...those bare spots need to be primed with zinc chromate before they are painted again.

The sticker strips should not be painted so your choice is to remove them or mask them off.

Paint is very inexpensive if you paint with Rustoleum.

Before you mount a permanent fuel tank you want to be careful of balance. You will need to place something beneath the tank and unless it is something custom ....it will not fit under the decking. You need to re-think the fuel tank and see what other's have done.

Learn to use the SEARCH function and I think there a couple of starcraft restorations you can read..... a couple of dozen!

ssmyth

Cadet

use regular rustolium in a spray can, like from Home Depot? or do they make a boat paint? Where do you get zinc Chromate primer?
the gas tank i was going to put on top of the decking, but under the backsplash frame. kind of where the portable tank goes. i was going to make a new panel and put the tank and a seperate compartment for the battery under there. i would have to take out some of the foam that is under there on the sides though.

86 century

Ensign

Most of the older SS's had a permanent above deck tank under the splashwell. Lets see some pics of you SC and welcome.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to Iboats....and the starcraft ...uhhh...We need PICS!!!!!! then we can make ya a member...

ssmyth

Cadet

it will be a few days before i can get some picts, so bear with me.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Rustoleum applied with roll and tip method.

Once again Learn to use the SEARCH function ........

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Click on my link and you will see what I had to start with..I added rivets, gluvit..Zinco Chromate Primer...Rustoleum roll and roll..etc...you should find some info that will help you out.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Don't use the spray cans. You will seriously hate life. Ask me how I know this :eek:

Yes Rustoleum applied with a brush and roller will work great. I also have had great success with Petit Easypoxy. I think it has a little bit harder of a finish than Rusto and a little better color palette. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1329#

From this:
DSCF2267.jpg

To this:
DSCF2354.jpg

Cost: about $100.

ssmyth

Cadet

Can i paint it right side up or does it need to be flipped?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome ssmyth...most folks flip the hull to paint. I'm debating on this myself. It would certainly be easier than painting under the boat on the trailer.

I will probably flip mine since these tin hulls aren't too heavy:)

ssmyth

Cadet

PaulyV,
yes, my boat is very similar to yours. thanks for the link. i will try to get some pictures.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome ssmyth...most folks flip the hull to paint. I'm debating on this myself. It would certainly be easier than painting under the boat on the trailer.

I will probably flip mine since these tin hulls aren't too heavy:)

What do we call "aren't too heavy"? Just curious.... Like 1000 pounds?

Huron Angler

Admiral

What do we call "aren't too heavy"? Just curious.... Like 1000 pounds?

My hull weight is around 550lbs. My 80hp Merc is probably around 250lbs.

That's why we love tinnies...save $$ on gas while towing and on the water:D

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

My hull weight is around 550lbs. My 80hp Merc is probably around 250lbs.

That's why we love tinnies...save $$ on gas while towing and on the water:D

WOW! 550 pounds!!!!!! Did not even had a clue that they are that! Does taht include interior as well or just the skin?

PS Sorry for hijacking the thread