'81 Glassmate resto-mod project progress

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a '81 Glassmate 16' 3" with a Volvo AQ120B 2.1L 4cylinder and a Penta 270.

My dad ran the boat for years, but parked it 6 years ago at a family members on the coast. There is sat, in the elements, for 5 years, within a stones throw of the Pacific.

Last year, I resurrected it with a friend. We gave it a valve job, threw some plywood under the carpet, and built new front seats for it. We had a blast.

This year, we're going to do some major work to it. I learned a bit about fiberglass and plan to do a new floor. While I'm at it, I'll replace the wood supports for the front seats, and the dash/windows with new wood, which I will seal with epoxy and fiberglass into the floor as I go. New foam will go in too. I'll also be making a new engine cover, and replacing the rear seats with a little storage.

For today, I have a couple pictures of how it sits now.

I just got my new prop in the mail today, and I'm trying to get it running tonight, for a test run tomorrow. I want to know what else may need to be done, before I start spending money ;)

Attachments

• DSC00209.jpg
    DSC00209.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00213.jpg
    DSC00213.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00204.jpg
    DSC00204.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00227.jpg
    DSC00227.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 0

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '81 Glassmate resto-mod project progress

Here is most of the repair I've done so far.

I duplicated the rotting wood that made up the front seats before. These seats are about my 4th version. The I ended up having to use very thik plywood to support the weight of people. They kept breaking through the wood I used (hey, it was laying around = free ;)

Attachments

• DSC00179.jpg
    DSC00179.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00212.jpg
    DSC00212.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00222.jpg
    DSC00222.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00225.jpg
    DSC00225.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0

captmello

Captain

Sounds like a worthy restoration. But OSB and whatever kind of siding product you used...I just don't think its right.

If your going to all the work fixing it up, do it right so it will last. Just my opinion.:)

Good luck with it, I'll be watching for your updates.

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a worthy restoration. But OSB and whatever kind of siding product you used...I just don't think its right.

If your going to all the work fixing it up, do it right so it will last. Just my opinion.:)

Good luck with it, I'll be watching for your updates.

Oh for sure ;)

I will be replacing all that wood. That was temporary, to last me just through last season. I was proud of how well I had done it. It boosts my confidence about doing it again ;)

I did mean to ask for recommendations on wood. I will be doing some more reading here, but my goal so far is to replace both stringers if needed (one has damage in the bow) and replace the floor. I then want to re-make the supports for the bow seats, and for the dashboard, and I want to seal that as well as fiberglass it all together.

Same with the engine cover. Although I'm considering replacing to rear seats and engine cover with a combo engine cover/storage.

Thanks,
Chris

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We spent yesterday playing with it. Filled the gas tank with fresh fuel, got the fuel pump primed, and with a little ether managed to get it running.

Thankfully, just like last year, it starts easily, once it's warmed up. Still can't get it to start without starting fluid. And even then, it's hard.

Todays goals-
  1. lake test!
  2. Compression Check
  3. Replace coolant-tank o-rings
  4. extend the trailer wiring
  5. new saftey chains
  6. re-gasket portions of engine
  7. oil change

It's a twofer day, I need to take the boat to the lake to give it a whirl, and I need to take my jet ski and try and get it tuned up (it had the carb played with every which way by a good-intentioned friend, but ended up being a bad relay!)

Added to my list-

1. Speedometer sensor thingy
  2. alternator belt
  3. Look for battery box parts...

And as I'm typing this, I see some humor in my friends notes. He writes-

"extend trailer wiring; fix center lights; shackle trailer (?); paint trailer; inspect bunks; GET NEW TRAILER!!!! I don't think he likes working on the old trailer ;)

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I still haven't taken it to the lake. I have been knocking things off my list though. Sadly, the box/wiring I ordered for my tilt unit ended up not being as good a deal as I thought, and needs to be sent back. Someone doesn't know how to use the word "Excellent" in a eBay auction when describing condition :/

Compression check was ok. I'm planning to re-ring someday, but I knew that last season.

I didn't get to replace the coolant tanks o-rings, they weren't normal round o-rings. Much wider, almost square. I did fix my trailer wiring, re-seal the oil pan, and put a much nicer safety chains on the trailer.

Sadly, the battery box's I bought don't really fit where I wanted to put them once the seats are actually in.. Measure twice, cut once. *sigh*

Aaand I learned what happened to the old pitot... I put a new one on today, and noticed that I'll have to flip it up overtime I come back in, or it'll hit the trailer...

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found a local supplier of o-rings that had millions in stock- Didn't have mine :/

May have found some that work thought. We'll see tomorow hopefully.

I grabbed some wiring stuff, going to try and tackle the battery tomorow too. Get that wired in nicely.

I did get a little painting done. Not a big fan of the color scheme, just wanted to cover everything to stop rust, and used the paint I had.

30ab0hh.jpg

32zieye.jpg

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Didn't get much done since last update.

I have so far pulled all the carpet and the plywood I laid down two seasons ago. Planning to actually replace the floor this year.

2ijdrb.jpg

2i6dj6t.jpg

2mi4495.jpg

2zp5s8g.jpg

jq46ls.jpg

zita89.jpg