'81 9.9 may be a basket case

interalian

Commander
Neighbor asked me to look at his outboard. Carb still has original black gasket, water pump oulet gasket crimped and pipe bent. Shift link had the threads stripped off the screw, gearcase was half full of nasty grey oil (but passes vacuum and pressure tests), prop spun (had an o-ring crammed in for friction).

Best for last: whenever it's sat for a few hours, the flywheel won't turn without really reefing on it. After rocking it a bit, it feels like there's gravel for bearings and it makes a knocking sound when rocking the flywheel back and forth.

https://youtu.be/pkV0SOZX-Sk

Neighbor found it on Kijiji, seller from out of town met him at our local lake and took him for a spin after having a really hard time starting it, and he paid $1000 for it, a 14' tinny and trailer. I'm thinking this thing is junk.

interalian

Commander
No Title

The fat o-ring was crammed between the thrust bush and the prop hub. And that's 35 years of crap under the carb. I suspect it's been dunked.

Attachments

• photo274264.JPG
    photo274264.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo274263.JPG
    photo274263.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 0

interalian

Commander
Oh, and did I mention the shift link interlock trunnion is missing? You can see it in the grundge picture above.

interalian

Commander
So I decided to just put it all back together and run it without spending anything on parts. Barely started, spitting and shaking and missing. Cylinder drop and it wouldn't run on either cylinder alone. Popped a pair of used Champions from my parts bin and it fired right up. Had NGKs in it and they weren't so worn that I'd have condemned them - a bit dark and oily though.

Pisser wasn't - hose was plugged with oily schmutz. Put a new bit of hose on and it pisses.

Odd thing: the timer base is catching on the flywheel. Not sure I want to take the flywheel off, but something must be wrong under there...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Too bad your neighbour didn't ask you to tag along when he went to look at it. Sounds like it's a ticking bomb. Does it look like the crankcase has been opened? As you know any binding is not good. Grab the flywheel and see if there is any lateral movement, perhaps the upper bearing is shot

interalian

Commander
I know. Had I gone with him on the test I would have told him to run. Or offer far less to get the boat and trailer, call the motor an anchor. Sadly, PT Barnum was right, there is a sucker born every minute. He was also told it was a limited edition motor - it says "Rapala" on the side of the hood. :rolleyes:

The crank case and everything else under the hood appears to have never been touched. The only evidence of 'service' was water pump replacement, and that all botched. Oh, and somebody messed with the hair pin around the starter gear and how the rope was wound, so the starter rope hung out 8" and you had to jerk the line to bring up the gear. And the trunnion nut on the shift lever interlock is gone - no idea how you'd lose that.

There's no lateral play I can feel in the crank, but it makes a knock sound when rocked. I bet either the sensor or coil under the flywheel is banging around. Need to get some long 1/4-20 grade 8 bolts and yank it.

Here it is running in a barrel. No idea why the audio cut out after a few seconds, but it runs and stays cool. https://youtu.be/rKzF-fmNhyY

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Must have blown the mike from all the racket

Well maybe after the knock is solved, do a compression test and maybe it will be like the Christmas tree Charlie Brown picked out

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
Flywheel off and plenty of evidence the coil was rubbing on the flywheel. All the pivot areas on the plate and bushing assembly were dry crap grease, so I cleaned and reassembled with lots of fresh Triple-Guard. Had to set the coils back a fraction but still have spark. There's a little side-to-side play in the crank and some evidence the top seal has been leaking. I'm going to suggest he not waste much more money fixing it as I'm already past the value point for cost of repair without even putting parts in.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That's too bad, I like those little engines. I guess he can run it till it grenades then use it as an anchour, or sell it for salvage

Last edited:

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sounds like it should be a parts motor.

But that thing does sound abused for years