'81 70hp l/u bolts ?

imported_beck

Seaman
Hi to all,

Just removed a l/u on 48 spl, a breeze, unit just dropped out after removing the bolts.

Which brings me to my ? '89 48 spl had 5 bolts (4 short and 1 long ss bolts)

How many does a '81 model 70 hp Johnson? I've removed the 5 ss bolts that were exposed but unit is still stuck/bolted at the tale end. I'm having problems removing the rudder, for lack of the prober name, plastic rudder type piece which bolts under the cavitation plate at rear. Is/could there be a bolt under there.

Thanks for the info.
Beck

Ps: First time doing a water pump.

imported_beck

Seaman
water pump impella clarification

water pump impella clarification

Finally did get lower unit off and removed the water pump housing, found a 3 blade impella? My omc p/n 0438602 water pump kit has a impella with 6 blades? What gives is this new and improved? I suppose it will push 2x the water?

Also there is what looks like a small dome thing perhaps where/containing the shift rod seal right in front of the water pump. It is corroded on the outside should I fool with it? Or leave well enought alone, its not leaking at this time.

Will I need any additional sealents/adheasives other than what is in the kit? Also I noticed there are no instructions with the kit, I guess they expect that we know how to install.

Thanks,

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '81 70hp l/u bolts ?

remove the trim fin,theres another bolt under it

imported_beck

Seaman

Thanks for the info.

I did as you said and removed the bolt and lu came right out. Removed the water pump the entire unit. What puzzles me is that there was a thick oring under the impella. The kit did not contain one. It did contain a rather thin oring which I assume went under the crank spline as there was one there which looked just like it.

One of the things that puzzled me was the direction of the piece that locked in the impella to the shaft. I was using a manual for a '89 48 spl and the old impella slot seemed to be backwards sorta like the impella was upside down. The impellas have an indention on the bottom or the old one did. So I installed the new one with the indention to the bottom and put the thick oring under it, like it was before.

Also the new impella has 6 tabs and the old only had 3.

Another thing the shaft was hard to turn with the new impella is this normal?

Thanks

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

3-fin impellar on an '81 70hp?
Manual shows a 6-fin impeller. It doesn't show an o-ring under the impeller.

go here:
http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Accessories/Literature/?popup=true

follow the links to your engine diagram (Johnson is there too)

you do need the o-ring under the drive shaft splines.

manual calls for OMC Adhesive M where the L/U meets the housing - I use permatex #2.

Use blue loktite on the bolts.

a manual is a really good idea - seloc or clymers from iboats is ok - or get the original shop manual from kencook.com or marineengine.com