800 information number for cell phone use?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
A while ago, someone posted an 800 # that you could use to get 411 from on your cell phone. My comment had been the rediculous cost of each inquiry thru the cell phone carriers information number.

Foolishly, I did not record it and as the search function here is not functional, I'd hoped that someone would remember it.

dolluper

Captain
Re: 800 information number for cell phone use?

Let us know if it really works as I was a deer in the headlights on the whole lot of cell phone features.
Took my wife,a so called good buddy,and his brother to pull off the scam on me

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

dolluper said:
Let us know if it really works as I was a deer in the headlights on the whole lot of cell phone features.
Took my wife,a so called good buddy,and his brother to pull off the scam on me

I'll try it today and report back.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Here is a link to the website for the 'free' 411 number.(800-FREE411)

http://www.free411.com/index.php

I don't know what the stupid little red X is all about, but the linky still worky.

I have not tried the number yet and am not entirely clear, from the website, if there is any gimmick. It sure would be nice to get information on the run without having to pay $1.49.

I'll get around to trying it, just haven't taken the opportunity yet.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Read the fine print. Here's the statement from their web site

"Simply dial 1-800-FREE411 and get the listing you need for free. It?s just like 411, only better because it doesn?t cost anything. So who pays, you ask? Our advertisers do. And should you be interested in one of their great offers, we?ll connect you free of charge."

Here's another one:

" Here?s how we do it. Our sponsors cover the service cost by playing short advertising messages (about 15 seconds) ? ads usually based on your search request. Say you?re looking for a local pizza place. We might play you a special offer from Dominos. And we?ll even connect you for free. Of course, you can always just get the original number you requested. Best part is, a typical call to us lasts about the same amount of time as a paid 411 call."

I wonder if you have to pay to connect to a number other than the one in the ad, or if just listening to the ads gets you any number for free. I'll be curious to read your post when you try it...

Coors

Captain

yep, there ain't no free lunch....

rwise

Captain

sounds like the way TV used to work, the adds paid for the show! Now you pay to watch the adds and get a little bit of movie (or whatever) in between! :(