$800 1983 Sea Ray Cuddy

Jericho86

Recruit
Last weekend I bought my first boat. It's a 1983 Sea Ray 210 Cuddy with a 260 Mercruiser.

Before we get into the boat, let me give some background information. I'm a pretty big car guy. I've built and worked on/ swapped engines and other things since I was a teenager, and since I've been out of college for a couple of years, I've had a little extra time and money to devote to more serious projects. I've been thinking about getting a boat for a while now, and was drawn to the sterndrives because of their auto derived engines.

The boat was advertised as having a busted block. Considering the condition of the oil, this is likely the case. The PO informed me that he bought the boat in was he thought was seaworthy (lakeworthy?) condition, and was severely disappointed. We figured the the guy he bought it off of did not winterize properly after moving up from Texas. I'm not sure how much due diligence the PO did considering the massive cracks in the manifolds.

It is my understanding that the mercruiser 260 is in fact a chevy 350, which is a good thing because I have a couple of 350 blocks in my garage. I'll need to pull the engine and see what, if anything is salvageable. I've considered finding a late Vortec 350 out of a junkyard and freshening it up swapping it in. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

The rest of the boat seems relatively solid and the...interior? is in great shape, but I don't yet have the expertise to say for certain. I did find a soft spot in the deck, but the rot does not seem too extensive. I expect to find more as I continue disassembling the boat in preparation for the engine swap.

Overall I'm pleased with the condition of the boat and trailer for the price I paid. If it ends up being more work than what I want to put in, I think there's at least enough good on it for me to get my money back out of it.

I'll take some pictures in the daylight.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
First, welcome aboard

Second, the least of your problems is the motor...... Will cover that later

Most importantly, a 38 year old searay wit a soft spot on the deck will have a rotten transom and stringers. Plan on $3000 to $4000 to restore the hull. Estimate another $2k for interior, and a general $1k woth of incidentals

Now on to your engine swap..... Make sure to use brass core plugs, marine head gaskets, a marine cam, and make sure the water pump, carb, starter and ignition are marine

Jericho86

Recruit
Most importantly, a 38 year old searay wit a soft spot on the deck will have a rotten transom and stringers.

I figured as much.
Everything I've read about these repairs, which I'm still learning about, implies that fixing rot is a something that inevitably must be done periodically. Is there anything that can be done to make a truly permanent repair?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
can be done to make a truly permanent repair?
Hermetically seal the boat in a vacuum...... Or start with an aluminum boat.

Even todays boats with minimal wood and stringer tubs glues togeter with plexus are only designed to last 15 years and be replaced