79 Johnson 115 hp restart problem.

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
This motor starts and runs great. It idles well in the water and in gear. The problem is after you stop for a bit it doesn't want to restart. It cranks over good and fast, but it won't start. The carbs have been cleaned. It almost seems like it is flooded.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Will the spark jump a 7/16" open air gap on a spark tester when it acts up ??

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
I haven't tested that. I will have to get back on the water as it doesn't do it in driveway. Compression is all in the 120s. It will push my old 16 foot boat about 36 mph by GPS, so it seems to be firing well in general.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Carburetors do not come and go... if they're bad, they stay that way. Visually check the stator under the flywheel closely to see if it might be dripping a sticky looking substance down on the powerhead area. Let us know what you find.

Is your tachometer functioning properly?

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
I have ordered the manual, but it hasn't arrived. Do I need to pull the flywheel to check the stator? There is no tachometer.

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
I did just test my rectifier, thinking maybe the battery wasn't recharging and didn't have enough to turn it fast enough, though it seemed to be fast to me. The rectifier is giving a reading in both directions when I go from red to yellow. So I ordered a new one.

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
I visually inspected the stator without removing the flywheel. it's very clean. Nothing at all leaking out of it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I visually inspected the stator without removing the flywheel. it's very clean. Nothing at all leaking out of it.

Have your spark testing equipment on hand, as "boobie" suggests (Will the spark jump a 7/16" open air gap on a spark tester when it acts up ??), when this problem takes place and check the spark as quickly as possible. You are sort of saying in not so many words that the engine will re-start when it cools off. If No spark exists when this problem takes place... that is a main trouble shooting point leading to the cause of the problem.

Have "all the spark plugs removed when you do this test.

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
All right, I will give it a try with the spark tester on Monday and report back. Thank you for your time and effort.

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I have found the issue. I am sharing for others who read this. I did as booby and jreeves said and tested spark when it cut out. Had two bad coils that quit when they get too warm. Changed this out. It still wasn't running right after getting warmed up. Turns out there is an exhaust leak under the cowling. So...it calls for powerhead removal. Any good tricks?