79 Evinrude 35hp Wont Start- Help

jonboatbassin

Seaman
The motor has ran great all year and always starts the first time I turn the key, until yesterday. When I turn the key, motor turns over and sounds fine but it just wont start. Gas tank is about 1/2 full and i pumped the bulb to get good pressure although it doesnt hold it long. What could cause the motor to not start? Also, in trying to start for a while I burned up the ignition, it actually caught on fire under the console. How dificult is this to replace? Could I buy a replacement ignition and get a diagram of the wires from the starter so I could do it myself? Thanks for any help you can give me.<br />Adam

72INVADER90HP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 79 Evinrude 35hp Wont Start- Help

On your ignition I burned mine last week and went to the parts store and bought a universal one and have the choke on a toggle switch. Cist 15.00 dollars because I cant find my ignition swithch any where.

jonboatbassin

Seaman

i already replaced my dash choke button with a cig lighter so thats not an issue but i dont know how to wire up any ignition switch. theres so many wires running to the thing i dont know which one is for which connector. <br /><br />still wondering why the motor wont work.<br /><br />another question-- with the kill switch tripped will the motor still turn over when starting, it just wont start? or will it not do anything at all?<br />thanks alot

G DANE

Commander

Hi jonboatbassin<br /><br />Kill Switch will not stop motor from turning over, just wont start.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Adam<br /><br />One problem lead to another. Your motor not starting is the only major issue as the ignition switch can be replaced fairly easy.<br /><br />Your motor needs a fuel/air mix and a spark in each cylinder to run or at least sput, sneeze or caugh.<br /><br />The fuel/air mix has to be correct and the sparks have to be at the right timing for it to run smooth.<br />As your motor used to run OK the obvious is to check if fuel gets to the carbs and into the motor and if ignition works. As it seems to have lost life all of a sudden, the ignition calls for attention.<br /><br />A manual tells a detailed way to do his. Here's a short version: Remove the plugs (note which belongs where as any sign of error indentifies a certain cylinder), wipe them clean and refit them. Pump the bulb until hard. Visually check for leaks. Crank the engine for 5 seconds. Remove the plugs again and inspect. If all plugs are wet fuel is getting in. Wipe the plugs again. Now hold the plugs in turn (use a WELL insulated tool) so that the plugs thread/side electrode gets a firm connection to the motor head. Crank the engine. A clear spark should show in the plugs gap.<br />If all plugs are OK you have ignition.<br /><br />While under compression in the combustion chamber the spark does not go easy so when out it should be strong. It may be a good idea to simply replace the plugs.<br /><br />If no spark at all the components involved must be checked.<br /><br />Get back to us when you know more.

DEMETRIHRTF

Recruit

It seems like you have a points or condensor problem I am also having the same problem I will let you know how it turns out as I am replacing my points today

jonboatbassin

Seaman

took the ignition out and pulled all the wires off to cut and put new connectors on. the ignition itself seems to be fine, just the wires burned up. it looks like one of the 2 wires off the kill switch was burned pretty bad and im wonering if that wasnt already bare in it which may have caused the original short and not let the motor start, then after cranking and cranking it burned the rest of them up. what do you guys think of that?<br />i'll let you know if it fixes the problems when i get it all hooked back up.

jonboatbassin

Seaman

rewired ignition and kill switch but still have same problem. motor cranks and sounds fine but just wont start. now that the ignition is 100% i guess i'll try some of the motor tests you guys mentioned. thanks for the input

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Keep in mind that you must allow the starter motor to cool off between attempts. The manual often states something like 'max x seconds cranking followed by at least y minutes cooling'. The system is designed to crank a few seconds and then run.<br /><br />Burned wires are a sure sign that more power has been drawn than the harness was designed for.<br /><br />Also think about the possibility of the motor actually starting during test. Supply cooling and take care of moving parts.

jonboatbassin

Seaman

"Also think about the possibility of the motor actually starting during test. Supply cooling and take care of moving parts."<br />Definately kept that in mind, had water goin to it.<br />How do I find what sparkplugs are recommended for my motor?

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

NGK recommend:<br />1979 EVINRUDE 2 Cyl. 35.0 hp<br /><br />Spark Plug: Standard <br />Part No.: BZ7HS-10 <br />Stock No.: 3579<br />Plug Gap: .030

jonboatbassin

Seaman

thanks UU<br />ive got a question and i may sound completely stupid but what i saw suprised me. both of my sparkplugs are flat where the electrode ususally is on most plugs, IS THIS NORMAL? <br /><br />besides that, we got the motor running. we checked the spark first and had good spark, then check compression and had a little over 130 in both cyl. still wouldnt start at this moment but then we just fiddled with the throttle linkages a little and then it fired right up and starts the first turn of the key now. only problem ive got now is when i turn the key to off the motor still runs. when i rewired it i marked every wire and every connection and i know it all got back together right. could it have gotten messed up when it caught fire?

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

There are several spark plug designs. Those without side electrodes are often referred to as 'perma gap' as the gap can't be adjusted. <br /><br />The mentioned NGK's are with side electrodes and looks as any plug. NGK's have a very good reputation.<br /><br />Can't say what happened to your wiring. Almost any kind of electical or ignition error can come from faulty wiring (as well as burned devices). I'd recommend you get a manual (see link this site) as it will have both good schematics and a bunch of other valuable info for future maintenance. Well worth the bucks.