79 115hp hot wiring not fun

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The starter solenoid will not pull in using the ignition switch but works fine with a jumper from the positive side big post. I replaced the ignition switch but that didn't help. I have 12v at the solenoid with the key in the start position but apparently not enough amps. I cleaned all the connections including the big red plug pins. This situation was intermittent until today now its full time. There is no neutral safety switch on this engine. Any ideas would sure help. Thanks Sherm

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 79 115hp hot wiring not fun

What's the general condition of the harness?

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The harness looks to be in good shape but with this old of motor I'm not too sure. I would think if the wire was bad it would burn out if the resistance got too high, I think the solenoid pulls a fairly heavey load. I think I will check the new ignition switch by jumping from the B to S terminal. I am somewhat suspicious of the big red plug pins. These are very hard to clean. I will pull it apart and rig a jumper for that pin and the hot lead in the morning and see if that helps. I went through the factory manual and could find any help. I did a search on this forum and that did help me with what to look for. Thanks FishWish

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Turned out to be just a going bad to completly bad solenoid. Replaced part and now everything ok. Thanks Sherm

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now this is getting out of hand. After replacing the solenoid it worked great at home. First time at the dock no start had to jump start it again. I was so desparate to take a friend fishing I wired the solenoid to the light circuit. So when I turned on the light switch the motor started just fine. Ran boat about four miles and shut off motor. For the rest of the day it started using the key switch. So I'm back to square one on this and sure could use some help. Thanks Sherm

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

How is the key Switch on this unit?? Might have a short somewhere from key to engine or a switch that isn't isn't connecting. If you bypass the switch all together it starts fine??? If that is the case I would look at switch or wiring to it

CATransplant

Admiral

I'd keep suspecting the plug on the harness. Mine does this sometimes, and I have to unplug and plug in the harness.<br /><br />I cleaned the female side using pipe cleaners dipped in contact cleaner. The male terminals I cleaned with a little strip of fine emery cloth, like polishing a shoe. It hasn't failed to turn over since I did that.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Just a quick thought after I posted...If any moisture got iside the key switch and put the slightest corosion on the terminals inside it the vibrations from running the boat might clean off the corrosion enough to start the boat.

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the first thing I did was replace the key switch but I guess the new one could also be bad. I have had that happen on things more than once. This boat is a 17 whaler and gets hard use in the salt pond. I did clean at the red plug I will give that another shot. Thanks Sherm

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And the story ends with thought of inspiration if you don't know take it to the shop or get real lucky. The fact is I installed a ford solenoid years ago it worked fine by accident, because I had accidentally grounded the case when I installed it. I had hooked up the ground to the "I" post thinking it was a ground. When I ordered a new solenoid (It still has not arrived) I ordered the right one. But, because I really needed to take a friend fishing I bought another ford solenoid, cutting off the bracket because the holes were not far enough apart for the mount. It also accidentally was close enough to the block to have a ground sometimes. This was the whole problem. Still waiting for the new solenoid. But I am not above attaching a ground wire to the case of the one I have if I get a chance to go fishing. Thanks for all your help on this one. Sherm