'78 Reinell Restoration

Nskip

Recruit
I've taken on the task of restoring a friends boat. It was actually mine several years ago so I know it pretty well. We put a new motor and seats in it last year and discovered the floor was rotted out. A temporary repair to the floor got him through the summer but now it's time for the full restore.

The floor was completely rotted and waterlogged. The foam in the center section is also waterlogged. The stringers are glass covered foam that has cracked nearly the full length on both sides.

I've still got a lot of demo to do but this is my plan so far.

1. Replace the glass over the stringers with more plies than the original (single ply design) rather than going with dimensional lumber.

2.Probably embed a treated 2X4 flat in the stringer to have something to screw the plywood to.

3. I need to move some weight forward. The original engine was a 4 cylinder Volvo, now it's a GM 350. I want to install an under-floor 40gal fuel tank either in the center section or in the forward section if there's enough room. I'm not sure about the interpretation of the rules yet. Would a fuel tank require ventilation if it's mounted under the floor?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for the great site.

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '78 Reinell Restoration

Hi there, I am currently restoring my Reinell T180. It came with a mercruiser 470 with the fuel tank under the floor between the front seats. The tank compartment is open to the bilge area for venting.
I am thinking about putting a ford 302 engine and volvo outdrive on this boat, how did yours handle with the 350 V8?
Here are the photos of mine so far, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss112/pcmpete/Reinell%20%20T180/
I am currently redoing the floor and transom myself.