78 Johnson 115 starboard cylinder head getting hot

Mc Tool

Commander
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
2,017
Start it up with the thermostat covers off ,should get a decent gush of water ,about the same out of each of them , only need to run untill you see the water , ideally within a few seconds . If its ok fit your new stats .🙂
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,969
Water comes out of the hoses and goes to the thermostat housing.
 

Mc Tool

Commander
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
2,017
If I was having cooling issues ( or thought maybe I did ) I would run it in a barrel so as to remove any possibility that a pressurised feed ( garden hose and muffs ) is masking any pumping / flow problems
 

phx5kegsman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 10, 2021
Messages
123
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and advice. I didn't end up pulling the heads. I backflushed through the thermostat hoses with the lower unit off. I should have done it over a bucket so I could see what came out. I also replaced the T- stats, relief valves, and springs. Also replaced the the complete water pump (impeller, impeller cup, pump housing, etc.
Then I went to Tractor Supply and bought a 100gal stock tank to use as a test tank. Started her up and both heads cool to the touch! Again, thanks for helping. Next up is "link and sync". I have a question about that, but I'll make a new post for that.
 

saltchuckmatt

Captain
Joined
Jul 19, 2019
Messages
3,380
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and advice. I didn't end up pulling the heads. I backflushed through the thermostat hoses with the lower unit off. I should have done it over a bucket so I could see what came out. I also replaced the T- stats, relief valves, and springs. Also replaced the the complete water pump (impeller, impeller cup, pump housing, etc.
Then I went to Tractor Supply and bought a 100gal stock tank to use as a test tank. Started her up and both heads cool to the touch! Again, thanks for helping. Next up is "link and sync". I have a question about that, but I'll make a new post for that.
Excellent and thanks for posting what you did for the other folk who run into this issue.

Might save someone lots of time.
 
Top