'77 Sea Ray - the conversion has begun

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Some may recall I aquired a well weathered 22' SRV last fall ('03). <br />Right away, I removed all the box mounted seats and their bases, then pulled out 90% of the crappy carpet. (there was vegetation sprouting in it.)<br /><br />Since then it has pretty much sat. I'm in Boomyall's area and he's inquired on my progress as he's made way with his own flooring project... I've been pretty cowardly and allowing myself to beg off tearing into mine.<br /><br />Well, after a successfull enough sea trial that convinced me I can be comfortable with my investment, I decided I'd best get into the guts of the matter.<br /><br />Enough Prelude -<br />I've removed the homemade 'Euro style settee and bench that had covered the whole back end. With it came the last of the ratty rug and the ???rub rail??? that was used to seal the carpet to the vinyl that covers the sides of the cockpit. The vinyl is staying for now. It;s weathered, but serviceable for the time being.<br /><br /> Ultimately, my intent is to have it fairly Spartan at the stern of the boat, meaning for this to be a fishing/party boat, not an overweight ski boat. I want the areas on either side of the engine cover to be accessible for fishing or even for getting in -n- out via the swim platform. <br /><br />Right now, I'm not even sure I'm going with bolt down pedestal seats. I have one for the helm, but otherwise, I'm considering PVC patio chairs. That would make the layout totally flexible.<br />For built-ins, I'm looking at two 36" x 18" chests built against each side 'midships. These would allow for storage and bench type seating.<br />When the floor gets redone, I want to investigate building in storage/fish wells on either side of the center mounted gas tank. (tank is 70 gal and runs from helm to to right at edge of bildge.)<br /><br /><br />Looking ahead, regardless of when I do the floor, I will need to craft a rear bulkhead that covers the two batteries, cables, trim, steering etc... and of course a dog house to cover the V-8.<br /><br />For the dog house and general structure of the rear bulkhead, I'm thinking 5/8" ply w/ 1" x 4" lumber for framing/stiffening. I'm thinking particularly 5/8" for the engine cover since I do want it sturdy enough to sit on, but don't want to take on the weight of 3/4".<br /><br />I need to get some batteries for my digital... pics should be available soon. <br /><br />www.geocities.com/dkwalker/boat2<br />- this will show you where I'm starting from.<br /><br />Are my wood dimensions ok?<br /><br />And what about finishing the doghouse and bulkhead? I've thought about formica or plastic wall covering (mylar?) that gets used in commercial kitchens, baths and other "clean" areas. I've seen one engine cover with a top of corian (the plastic cutting board/ counter top stuff). Anybody have any great insights there?<br /><br />thx in advance<br /><br />dw

tommy c

Cadet
Re: '77 Sea Ray - the conversion has begun

Hey dw<br /> Nice Rig,i purchased a 79 SRV 240 last year and had to re do alot of things,especially the engine cover and transom bulk head.On the engine cover i used 1/2" plywood and some 2x2 cedar post's,maded it very strong 2 adults could stand on it no problem,i just carpeted the outside with marine carpet and finished the edges with pine moulding ( treated) looks very sharp and does'nt look homemade.Also i sound dampened the inside with the silver bubble pipe insulation (home depot)very qiute now.As for the transom i again cedar framed it,1/2" plywood,marine carpeted it and lamanate top also sealed all cracks and screw holes.took me all of a year to complete re-do inside to my liking,she goes in this weekend.good luck on it,remember it's a "labour of love".<br /> Tom

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thx tommy. A year? knowing how fast I don't get things done, that sounds about right. <br /><br />Do you have any pics online of your project? I'm hoping for any sort of help and inspiration.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

That's a lot of Yacht DK, I bet she parts the water pretty good out on the Columbia!<br /><br />Changing the config in the back end will give you a lot of extra space. I can't quite picture all of the changes that you want to make but I would consider looking into FRP for your dog house. That is the material used for the siding on a lot of these cube vans. It wouldn't be the cheapest stuff out there but it is light, strong and water proof.<br /><br />I finally got everything disconnected from my motor and will pull it this weekend. Then I'll finish tearing out the remaining floor to have a look see at the motor mount stringers. The 8 main motor mount bolts didn't take any effort to unscrew, so I'm thinking I've at least got some real wet wood back there.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

There's nothing wrong with a flexible layout, but I hope you won't let passengers ride in the plastic lawnchairs while underway. That sounds like a quick trip to the E.R.!

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

RE: lawnchairs...<br /><br />well, I've wondered about that. I have beloved family members ;) (strong backs and weak minds) that will be my first test cases. I'll see how it goes from there.<br /><br />"That's a lot of Yacht DK, I bet she parts the water pretty good out on the Columbia!"<br /><br />Indeed, she does!! :p Snaking my way among the pilings when fishing in the north part of the Multnomah Channel may be interesting, but it's a Cadillac, all right.<br /><br /><br />"The 8 main motor mount bolts didn't take any effort to unscrew, so I'm thinking I've at least got some real wet wood back there."<br /><br />I've only glanced at my mounts, but they are nice and dry. This engine and outdrive are a retrofit. The transom was redone at the same time. The wood I see looks like it was part of the same job.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Get some batteries for that digital DK. Winters over now and there has been too much talkin on this forum and not enough boat project pictures :D

billbro68

Cadet

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the SR, Dave. I was feeling kinda down till I read your post cuz I bought a 22.5 ft. cuddy last month that has about the same needs as yours. Solid, good running Mercruiser with new lower end but looks like hell inside. Only seat is a fairly new seat at the helm.Dog house has been rebuilt around engine and covered with vinyl and looks homemade, gotta go.Cabin stripped and ugly. Got a good deal I guess, thought it looked like a good project but then got cold feet. Too much work when you don't know what your doing, then I saw your post and the responses and got encouraged. Now I'm ready to get started. I also had considered deck chairs, I don't see why the wouldn.t work. My frend has a big pontoon and uses them all the time. I want some that will look good of course. Anyway Dave I would preciate any info, pictures, suggestions, ideas, whatever. Also from other members of Iboats forum. My email is billbro68@aol.com. The boat title says it's a Marquis ???. Anybody ever heard of that brand, can't find it on the web. Thanks in advance, Bill

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am sorry to confess I go at this in spells/spurts. I have many distractions, including another boat that's parked in the marina ready to go.<br /><br />I do have the rear area of mine torn out, down to fiberglass and mechanical systems. That has left me with lots to clean up - years of grime that has built up behind that old upholstered plywood.<br /><br />I do have the rear part fairly well engineered in my mind, with all of it being removable with the use of screws or cap nuts.<br /><br />I'm still planning on going with the deck chairs. It just makes too much sense and I'm not convinced of any inherant hazards.<br /><br />I do have some pics online... I just need to whip up an html page to show them.