77 Galaxie Mercruzer I/O Transom saver???

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice
I am new to boats and I am starting a restoration. I took the motor and had it checked out it is fine. The rope that held the outboard part up was removed and not put back. The outboard part has now fallen (lowered itself) to the ground and I can not pick it back up. I need to get a battery and raise it again. Do I need to put something under it or get a transom saver type device to hold it going down the road? It took about a week for it to go down on its own. Any help would be appreciated. Lee

86 century

Ensign
Re: 77 Galaxie Mercruzer I/O Transom saver???

If its falling at all you have a leak or air in the lines of your trim system.

If you can find your trim pump some have a valve you can open to manualy raise or lower the drive will see if I can get you a pic of it.

Good luck

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks I have no idea what it looks like I took a picture of what I am guessing might be it but I would not be suprised if I am totally wrong on this. I don't see any valves on it or really any hydrolic lines now that I think about it.

Attachments

• boat motor mount 004.jpg
    boat motor mount 004.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks I have no idea what it looks like I took a picture of what I am guessing might be it but I would not be suprised if I am totally wrong on this. I don't see any valves on it or really any hydrolic lines now that I think about it.

That's the starter solenoid/relay.....:facepalm:

Look for this:
trim pump.jpg Thanks for the pix Frisco, turned up in a trim pump google search!:cool:

The red in this next photo of YOUR outdrive, is the trim ram, matching 1 on other side, has hose running into the transom & on into the bilge/engine cover area somewhere ( circled in blue) :
Mercruiser.jpg

If you can trace the hoses from outside into the hull, I'm not an I/O guy, but it may even be mounted on the engine like a power steering pump on your car..... Look for the ribbed, pressure fitting hoses....

cr2k

Captain

You can also buy some ram savers or make them out of heavy PVC Just cut a slot down it so it snaps over the shaft of the trim/tilt rams. Make it long enough to just leave about a 1/2 inch when fully up.

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

Well the Engine has to come out now I found rotten wood under the motor mount. Maybe I can find it then. It is not mounted on the boat so I guess it will be on the motor somewhere. Thanks for the pics. that helped.

jbcurt00

Staff member

No problem....... Post some pix of the boat, outdrive, engine bay & areas in & around it. You'll get some good guys stopping by to help. They'll all give you great advice & help along the way to getting it out of dry dock & back in the water......

86 century

Ensign

That is the trim pump

See the lines coming out of the bottom
If that is a early 3.0 it is mounted to the side of the eng.

Look for a small t shaped valve on the lower portion of the valve body.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... This picture IS the Trim Pump....

It's probably leakin', Internally....
If the pump ain't leakin', Internally, the rams on the drive could be leakin' Internally....

attachment.php

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

:confused: Well I am going to have to take the motor out anyway. The motor mount is rotted out. Is there a thread that goes into detail for removal of the outdrive and motor. Once I get the out drive off I think I can pull the motor. What do I have to disconnect other than gas and electric? I will get home tomorrow and take pics if needed. I am going to try to get it out tomorrow if the weather will clear up. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bondo

Staff member

Is there a thread that goes into detail for removal of the outdrive and motor.

Ayuh,.... Hard to say,... You still haven't said just What it is....

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

:facepalm: Sorry. It is a 77 Galaxie Mark IV. The motor is an inline 6 chevy motor and a mercruizer out board. I have to take it out to remove the motor mount and check the transom.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

theres a lot of parts there and you will need a couple speacial tools....
also their is alot you need to learn for re-instalation, and what have you'S!!!
better find out what exactly you got, and get a manual.
i boats has about the best price on them

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

OK thanks. I will try and get a manual. I may have to wait for my buddy to come help. He has done this before, I am still learning these things.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Don't know your mechanical ability (doesn't sound like you're too familiar with boats at least) or budget or amount of free time, but before you take on this project you might want to do some research on what this repair involves--you may (probably?) will get in there to find that you have a bad floor, stringers, etc in addition to the transom. Not to mention what else mechanically is wrong with the rest of the boat. I've already decided that should my floor/transom/whatever rot out in my boat, it would be WAY easier and cheaper to just part out the boat and buy another. Don't want to be too discouraging, but just make sure you know what you're getting into BEFORE you get into it. Some of these guys do some amazing resto's, but as (I think) Bond-o says, I'd rather go boating. 'Coarse, that's usually said when someone mentions buying a 470 ;)

jbcurt00

Staff member

:facepalm: Sorry. It is a 77 Galaxie Mark IV. The motor is an inline 6 chevy motor and a mercruizer out board. I have to take it out to remove the motor mount and check the transom.

There may be #'s on that chevy that would probably help get you info, Model & Serial. Those may help somebody hook you up w/ a manual, or find 1 for you online. That's how I got a manual for both my 650 Merc & 35 Johnson.

If you have a buddy to help ya pull the inline 6, you probably want to try & fire it IN THE BOAT if ya can. Make sure the outdrive & prop are not anywhere near anything else!

You'll need water muffs on the outdrive & the water turned on BEFORE you try to start it. If it fires, then you'll need to full inspect the outdrive for problems. If their good, re-build, new gaskets, bearings & seals, and back in the boat. If their not, have your mechanic buddy help you find a good donor boat for a motor & outdrive cheap, but better shape then what you have now<<-- if current is no good.

W/ model & serial #, I/O guys are going to be way more helpful......

Have a good week

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

:redface:I have another thread in the boat hull restoring area. I had a mechanic run the motor and he told me it was a good motor and works fine. I am replacing the floor and stringers. that is how I found the motor mount and why I am going to check the transom. I am pretty mechanically inclined I just know nothing about boats. This is my first attempt at it. I may wish I never started this but right now I am doing ok. I work 9 days a month as a Firefighter and have a lot of time off. Since I don't have a part time job, I got this boat with trailer for $150. I am hoping to do everything for less that $1500. I found a manual on the Iboats site. It will be here in Feb. I am wishfully hoping to be in the water this summer... we'll see.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

If you need nothing to repair motor and drive, I would say yes 1500.
you can use the cheap extieor grade plywood for a budget rebuild.
Depending were your located you may have to unload a butload of cash for fiberglass shiping!
, (use the good stuff not home depot bondo stuff)
theese guys have the best price http://uscomposites.com/index.html
sounds like you have the time so go for it just before you are about less then half way their
dont let the overwelming feeling get to you push past tthis...
O and check out oops and fisco boater they will teach you everything you will need to know about building a boat....