77-78 Evinrude 140 runs rough

CynicalOne

Cadet
Re: 77-78 Evinrude 140 runs rough

Had a guy check the stator and trigger with a DVA. He says the trigger is bad. I'm not sure I trust his tests as he only tested 2 pairs of wires, one for the stator and one for the trigger. The OEM manual I have lists SEVERAL tests to determine if either of these are bad. Something just didn't feel right about his tests.

Going on what he said, I pulled the flywheel to have a look. Of course I know you can't just tell by looking unless it's glaringly obvious, but everything seemed fine. I got online looking for a bench test you could do with the stator or trigger and found the CDI troubleshooting guide. Found my model and HP range and looked for my symptoms..... missing in all rpm ranges. First thing listed to check was the rectifier. Said to remove yellow wires from rectifier and see if the problem went away, if so replace rectifier..... it did. I thought that may be a fluke, so I reconnected the rectifier. Back to missing and stumbling. Removed it again and it smooths out.

I haven't had a chance to truly test it under load, but... I'm almost hopeful. This engine starts too easy to have much wrong with it... even cold. Well, as cold as it can be on a summer day in the south. Spark is there, compression is there, and fuel is there.

Any suggestions on tests I could do with a good multi-meter without a DVA?

fireman57

Captain
Re: 77-78 Evinrude 140 runs rough

Sounds like you found your problem. Glad to hear it! Enjoy the rest of the season.