77 35hp Johnson voltage / current spike??

jeff winter

Cadet
Nothing like a problem while youre thousands of miles away from home on vacation......<br />started out with a lazy cylinder...only firing on one cylinder on start-up......then firing as I coaxed the throttle on.......... then miles from no where the battery went totally dead....got a jump from the only boat within miles........ then as I was running for home at a reduced throttle the engine seemed to fire both cylinders at once that sounded like I hit a submerged log........like bang......the engine shuttered big time but kept running. Later back at the dock the engine refused to start on both cylinders....only the bottom cylinder fired and as much as I cleaned the plugs, checked for shorted wires etc I came to the conclusion that Ihad a bad coil on the non firing cylinder. Luckily a local repairshop had the coil and they replaced it and on my way I went. Not the end of the story......... Now every once in a while the engine again bang/surges (which is like hitting the engine with a sledge hammer). If the engine is idling the engine goes dead emmediately but will continue to run at a higher engine speeds. Now the fun part. As veteran auto mechanic i can tell you this bang/surge event is NOT good on the engine. Now I have a rattle in the engine that I know is not good nor will it heal itself. Im thinking that a wrist pin or bearing is damageddue to the sledgehammer effect Im hearing. In fact the engine will rattle to a stop if I push it too hard. Im going to open the engine and look around . <br /> Does this bang/hammer surge indicate a problem in the charging system?? It feels as though there is a giant electrical flash-over or arching that fires both cylinders at the same time ....totally outof sequence which puts an enormous strain on pistons,wrist pins and crank. Im in the belief that this coil problem/ charging failure is the root of the whole mess. Does this sound familiar to anyone and what was the ultimate cure??<br /> Sorry for the long description but I am hoping that someone can shed a bit of light and point me in the right direction. Thanks for your help!

Walker

Captain
Re: 77 35hp Johnson voltage / current spike??

You need to do a spark test on both cylinders but I think what you are describing is a "lean sneeze" It can be pretty violent on a 2 cylinder. First thing to do is a complete tear down of the carb and a throrough cleaning and rebuild. Then if the sneezing persists turn the needle valve counterclockwise very slowly until the sneezing stops.

jeff winter

Cadet

Walker, Im familiar with your lean sneeze. This is definately not one of those. As a pro racing mechanic and crew chief Im familiar with jetting problems/adjustments. Im out of my element with a two stroke. :) They are very simple Im sure but Im just not familiar the electronics and the associated charging system. The engine ran ( or did run ) extremely well with quick start-up and never a charging problem. The engine has been an extremely smooth and reliable unit up til this lazy cylinder thing started and all hell broke loose. It is definately an electrical problem...........of that Im convinced. This kick-back/lock-up phenominon is a major event and Im afraid its done internal damage. I keep harping on my drivers to stop before its a major blow-up. In this case its relatively cheap compared to our qualifier engines. $$$!!!! That being said ......it pretty much puts the screws to a quiet northwoods vacation trip. :-(<br />Keep the thinking caps on guys, I really appreciate your thoughts.

Walker

Captain

Drop the lower unit and hook a garden hose up to the water tube in the mid-section. Fire her up and see if it still does it. I'm thinking you may have a broken tooth or teeth in the gearbox.

jeff winter

Cadet

Interesting..........<br /><br /> That being said .........could there be a connection with this coil failure / dead short thing?? This all started with a lazy coil. Ill take a look at the gearbox thing in a day or two. The other item I guess Ill need is a workshop manual. Sounds as though dropping the lower unit probably isnt too tough... Ill wing it and see what I find. Thanks Commander! Jeff

Walker

Captain

A dead coil shouldn't do any internal damage to the motor. Even though that cylinder may not be firing its still getting fuel/oil and getting lubricated. <br />You might pull the carb and look in the intake manifold and instect the leaf valves as much as you can see.

jeff winter

Cadet

10-4 ! I guess Im hoping to find a chipped tooth or two in the gearbox . Ill let you know what I find..............but it might take a week or so for me to find the time to get into it. Jeff