77 35 hp 2cyln , lower unit removal

jeff winter

Cadet
In trying to remove the lower unit........ Im having a hard time dropping it because I think the shifter shaft connector ( under the cover plate )is stuck in the clamp fitting...........could this be?? Ive loosened the lower clamp bolt and shot a bit of WD-40 on the clamps and it is now soaking. The rest of the lower unit seems to be free. Im I going in the right direction? Thanks, Jeff

Xcusme

Commander
Re: 77 35 hp 2cyln , lower unit removal

Jeff,<br />Have you tried removing the bolt completely?

jeff winter

Cadet

I considered it but was afraid Id drop it down the lower unit if the magnet missed. Does this bolt fit a cut-out in the shaft? Am I going in the right direction thinking this is the last connection before dropping the unit? <br />Thanks Xcusme.....Im just a lowly deckhand. :cool:

Xcusme

Commander

"Does this bolt fit a cut-out in the shaft?"<br />Yes, the bolt should align with the groove in the rod.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If it does fall out, it'll just fall out the bottom when the unit comes off. If it falls into the exhaust cavity in the unit, tip it upside down. It's not going to go anwhere you can't get it - unless your shop floor is gravel...<br />- Scott

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Bolt has to come completely out.

jeff winter

Cadet

got it...... thanks BoatBoy. <br /><br /> GOOD news.........BAD news......<br /><br />As I suspected....the lower unit is fine, the audible death rattle is still there and Ive pretty much isolated the problem to the top cylinder......sounds and feels like a wrist pin/piston or rod /crank problem. <br /><br /> I think that this all has been started by a bad Ign coil on that cylinder.......I suspected that it was shorting .....causing a very ill-timed spark fire which caused an intermittant hammering of that cylinder. It was a very obvious occasional hard stutter. The coil totally gave up on vacation last week. I now know that this irregular cylinder firing was caused by the coil which had in internal sporatic short which then gave up totaly and grounded the entire ignition system killing the battery charge with it. I replaced the coil and the engine fires right up ................but the rattle is still there. Ive never heard of this one before. Ive just learned a new one. I also found a suspect external crack in the upper case on that cylinder near crank bearing support area.<br /><br /> Guess its new motor time......damn.<br /><br /> Thanks for all your help guys. Jeff<br /><br />P.S.dont send flowers..... send Makers Mark :cool: