'76 Volvo penta AQ170C Leaking oil. Picture HELP!

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, after getting a new starter i started the motor turns over good, runs for couple seconds then dies, i think fuel, but not the main problem.

I think the oil pump is leaking or something. Look in the pic, oil is running from the cylinder under the fuel pump right where the metal hose comes into in. Seams like an oring is bad or similar. What is this cylinder? Oil pump? And what should i do about the leak? It runs down with a constant flow, it's not dripping it runs.

EDIT: It's the oil cooler and it leaks oil. Will try and find one somewhere, if i go to the auto strore and find cooler for the b30 volvo motor, it will work correct?

Need help asap, only have little time to work on it today.

2011-09-08 13.34.48.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: '76 Volvo penta AQ170C Leaking oil. Picture HELP!

Try to reseal the tube first,It's a funny looking seal.They don't like to be re-used.
If the copper tube is bent or mis-shapen it won't re-seal easily.

418412 Sealing ring.$4.25

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds good. The tube is not bent, how do i pull the tube out, is there anything holding it? the horizontal screw going into cooler, holds only the end plates together right?

If oil is leaking, is this a sign that another seal or o-ring is busted but inside the cooler?
Anybody have links on rebuilding such cooler?

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Better yet, how do I reinsert the tube back into the cooler? Its not in, thus leaking :)

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The line you're describing is the water inlet to the cooler. You shouldn't have any oil leaking from the pressurized water pipe. The water pipes fit into a socket and are sealed with a square cut o-ring. If the pipe is bent, it won't fit properly.

If you've got an oil leak, first check the oil pressure switch. That's the black thing you see that's screwed into the block, just above the the forward end bell of the cooler. Then check the oil filter for tightness and a good seal. Then snug up the thru bolt to see if that stops the leak. There's also an o-ring between the cooler and the block. You can find a set of oil cooler o-rings here: http://www.iboats.com/Oil-Cooler-Gasket-Set-Sierra/dm/*******.763158908--**********.179735946--view_id.222328
That set includes the o-rings for the bell ends, the thru bolt and the oil cooler to block seal. Make sure you torque the cooler to block nut according to the specs in the manual.

edit: in the unlikely event that you have very low water flow, AND you have a leak in the cooler, I suppose it's possible to have oil going back into the water inlet line. If that's the case, you'll need to have the oil cooler tested and repaired. Most any radiator shop can do that for you. You'll also need to fix your water system so the pressure is back up where it's supposed to be. It's more common to have water leak into the oil.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

The tube in question is a water tube, not for oil. If the oil cooler is leaking, It could be cracked or possibly the seal between the cooler and the block leaking. You also have the oil pressure sender (round thing with single wire going to it) which could potentially fail and cause the leak. If you don't have a big spray of oil coming out of the engine while it's running (enough that would cause the engine to run out of oil quickly), I recommend cleaning the area down with brake cleaner, then start the engine and inspect the cooler and sending unit to see if you can pinpoint where the oil is coming from. An inspection mirror (looks like a big version of the mirror the dentist uses in your mouth) found at any auto parts store and flash light may help with this. The oil cooler is distinct to this engine, and you are not going to be able to find an automotive equivalent. If you need an Oil cooler, they are still available new for just a little over $2000.....:eek:. Your best bet would be to find a used one from a engine that was run in fresh water.

If it's the sending unit, it would probably be easily and cheaply replaced by a generic equivalent.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys, thanks for the input!
I took out the cooling tubes by removing from impeller and from flex in the back. The square oring looked good. I then had to bend the tube abit because first time after resealing it I started screwing it into impellar and it came out, so i bent the pipe a bit reinserted it and put a small shimmey to push it down. The motor only runs for couple seconds cause of fuel problems, but i have no leaks. Is it fine?

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'll agree that it looks like the OP sender is leaking, but, there is also a stain from the head area, are you sure the leak isn't from higher up like the valve cover gasket. Just thinking out loud.

That trube is definately not seated and must be leaking water badly, there is a clamp on it attached to the bottom of the exhaust manifold.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well there's for sure an oil leak. I took off the oil cap and saw a tiny bit of water, so i then opened the salt water filter and it was full of OIL. I think the seal between the block and cooler might be busted, as you guys said. The oil does not leak from pressure switch or the cooler.

How do i check the oil pressure switch?

What else could be leaking oil into the motor? What can i do to troubleshoot this?
How do i take off the oil cooler? seems like it needs to be rebuilt and check the seal between block and cooler.

sqbtr

Go here http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/vp_sch_fs.html

Look up your engine and you will have the parts breakdown.

Remove that center bolt and pull the ends off and you will see the cooling tube bundle, it should push out of the housing.

The whole housing can be removed by taking your filter off and removing the big nut underneath.

I did buy a cooling bundle off e bay once for $75

Are you saying that by resealing the cooling tube the oil leak went away?

And what are you refering to when you say salt water filter? The raw water screen should be on the inlet side of the pump.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are no "seals" that go between the oil and water in the cooler. What normally happens is the cooler tube bundle leaks. When the engine is running, the oil pressure pushes oil into the cooling system, when shut off, the cooling water leaks into the oil.
You will probably find the tubes in the tube bundle in the cooler is leaking. Either from a crack from freezing or a hole from corrosion.

Go to the link below, the tube bundle (aka insert) item #3 may be the problem.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Oil-...*****.575504709--store_id.366--view_id.771512

If the insert is cracked, it may be repairable by a radiator shop. Corrosion would be a loosing battle to try to fix.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, i resealed the cooling tube and the leak went away. The oil leak is internal.
I will take the insert out now and inspect it.

The saltwater filter looks like this pic:
View attachment 112658

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So i took off the end cap and found the insert. Except i cannot take the insert out, it doesn't seem it can be taken out easy. The farther endcap doesn't come off after i take out the screw. I can't take the oil filter off because some dude tightened the **** out of it, gotta go buy the filter puller. Check out the pic.

2011-09-08 17.54.40.jpg

sqbtr

Gotta get the other cap off to remove the bundle, try putting the bolt back in and giving it a couple of love taps.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the oil cooler is a brazed unit made up of small diameter copper or copper-nickel tubes within a bunch of stamped copper end sheet with copper baffles, all brazed within a larger copper shell.

if its leaking, it can possibly be repaired, however after 35 years, is may simply need replacing. after a while, normal abrasion from crap in the water takes its toll.

BTW, design life of oil coolers is about 10 years.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got the cooler out. It doesn't seem to be corroded, look at the pics. I tried to run some water through and there seems to be a tiny drip that comes out through one of the water channels. There are already two channels sealed up. It seems someone sealed these two, but they are sealed only on one end. Could someone please explain where the oil actually circulates, does it go between all the crevices of the channels or just around the perimeter?

SORRY for the double post, couldnt edit correctly, someone delete THIS 1 please :facepalm:
2011-09-08 19.41.34.jpg 2011-09-08 19.41.44.jpg 2011-09-08 19.47.04.jpg

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got the cooler out. It doesn't seem to be corroded, look at the pics. I tried to run some water through and there seems to be a tiny drip that comes out through one of the water channels. There are already two channels sealed up. It seems someone sealed these two, but they are sealed only on one end. Could someone please explain where the oil actually circulates, does it go between all the crevices of the channels or just around the perimeter?

I would love to get a new one but that costs about $1700, care to give me a loan??

2011-09-08 19.41.34.jpg2011-09-08 19.41.44.jpg2011-09-08 19.47.04.jpg

sqbtr

Pull the o-rings off and push the bundle out of the housing. Then you can see what you are dealing with.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks sq. Took it out, tried to pressure test with my mouth, doesn't seem to have any big holes. I'm going to a radiator shop tomorrow see if he can pressure test it and hopefully fix the leak.

The orings seem to be in decent shape, so don't think they're the culprit. But maybe, if they're slightly bad will they straight up ruin everything.

Do i need to tell the radiator guy how to pressure test, with kerosene 14psi water side and 142psi oil side, or will the guy know?

Thanks guys.

2011-09-08 20.34.19.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

usually they need the whole cooler to pressure test, shell and core not just the core.

the process to test is apply air pressure to the shell side with whole heat exchanger under water - check if there are leaks out the tube ends. see which tube is leaking, then seal it off. if your "radiator guy" doesnt normally deal with shell and tube heat exchangers, they may not work on it directly, however they have a network.