'75 merc 50hp.

mikey67156

Cadet
Hello, Thanks to you guys it's been 3 trips w/ no breakages! I was wondering if there is any inexpensive way to squeeze a little more performance out of my old merc. She's a 1975 500 series 50hp, mounted on a 15' bass boat. Any Ideas? You guys have been great in the past I'm sure you'll be able to help me out now. Thanks

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: '75 merc 50hp.

How does it plane-out? Does it take a long time?<br />That sounds like a nice setup (50HP Merc on a 15footer). It probably flies with just one person,but expect it to slow way down with a lotta weight.<br />Smaller boats like ours are more suscepatble to weight increases. (I can tell when the wife's cookin has been too good in my smaller boat,and when the gas tank is full).<br />You might try a "Doelfin" stabilizer on the cav plate to bring you up on plane sooner,and<br />allow for planing with greater weight onboard.<br />The only problem with them is, they don't allow for drum-testing (wont fit in the barrel).<br />Good luck with the rig
smile.gif
<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />the Early bird get's the worm...So, he don't have to stop for bait.

mikey67156

Cadet

She planes pretty fast, but tops out at about 30 mph. I'd like to get a little more out if it. I haven't tried a cav. plate yet, but it's next on the list.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A 50 hp rating on that motor was about max, mikey....12 footers right, less weight is the same as more horsepower....see what you can do without.