75 hp underpowered for 16' boat?

iron21

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i'm looking at 16' 1997 bayliner open bow with a 75 hp force of the same year. Would this combination be underpowered? I'm used to I/O's, and dont have much knowledge of o/b's, but i would think you should have at least 85,90 hp for this boat? and if i remember correctly, didnt the older bayliners have either 85 or 120hp o/b's? should i pass on this boat? i would appreciate any advice..

Tregaskis

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 75 hp underpowered for 16' boat?

Underpowered for what? Bayliner sold an entry level 16' around these years with the 75hp engine on it. You should expect 38 - 40mph out of this if it is set up right and in good condition (light load, 2 people). This boat will pull a slalom skier out without much hassle.<br />Let the condition of the boat and engine vs. the price make the decision. Don't worry about being underpowered with this rig.

iron21

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the reply, but i have another question...on average, how long do forces typically last until they need to be rebuilt? i know there is not one set answer and many factors influence this, but considering it was taken care of,and lets say run 50 hours a season, whats a ballpark estimate? this boat/engine is 9 years old already and i really want to avoid it if i'm going to need to have it rebuilt a few years down the road. thanks again

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Rebuild schedule is the same as any other outboard.<br />If it is kept maintained, tuned, waterpump / impeller kept in good working order, and not abused, it should last 2000-3000 hours.<br /><br />There are lots of old outboards from the 60's and 70's that are still going strong.<br /><br />This motor has little in common with the Force motors from 1993 or earlier.<br />Almost every part is of Mercury or Mariner origin, except the block itself.<br /><br />I would expect low to mid thirties for speed. You will not be happy with it if you load it down with 6 people and picnic gear.<br />But fine for 2-4 people.<br /><br />Have the enging checked out, get some compression readings, and take her for a half hour test drive.<br /><br />Happy Boating.

imported_LakeRunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As Roscoe says, the key word is maintenance. Be proactive and the boat will thank you in return with hours of fun on the water. I ended up with a problem because I skipped a small detail. I still love my 95 16' Bayliner enough that I am rebuilding the engine and it came with a 70! Get those compression readings and if they look good, your gonna have alot of fun. Good Luck!