75 hp Johnson Elec Seahorse...60's????? won't shift into neutral

Micrawdad

Recruit
This motor came on a project boat I have been working on, the previous owner said it would not go into reverse...it had been sitting for at least 2 years. I got it to start today, after following the tips in 'how to waken a sleeping outboard"...what I discovered was that it not only would not go into reverse ( it shuts down engine when shifted into "R"), but it also will not go into neutral, it was starting in 'forward even though the selector said neutral...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 75 hp Johnson Elec Seahorse...60's????? won't shift into neutral

you have a blue and green wire i think that goes to the solenoid in lower unit. wont have power in forward, but in neutral you will have power to one of them and the other in reverse. check for power in neutral and the reverse with key on. disconnect plug wires to prevent accidental starting. good luck and let us know.

Micrawdad

Recruit

Thanks for the info....tomorrow i'll tear into it and see whats up....keeping my fingers crossed!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Hold on a minute, there are different electric shift lower units, one uses coils and one uses solenoids and they shift differently. We need to have a model number to see exactly what we are working on, since you're not sure of the year.