74? merc 650 no fire

basszzilla

Seaman
Re: 74? merc 650 no fire

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well it has spark anyway.
Don't know what I did wrong or for that matter what I did right, just tore it all down and put it back together and it now has a good strong spark. Now the fun part. Not knowing any better I pulled off the flywheel thinking there would be some sort of notch or key for TDC. Only to find out I should have left the flywheel bolted to the flywheel to crank adapter (for lack of a better term) where the woodruff key is at. Now, getting flywheel back on in the correct place and getting it back in time I will need some assistance with. The three manuals I have purchased are not being much help. So far this is where I am at. I have #1 at TDC and placed the flywheel as close to the TDC pointer as possible (it still seems to be a couple of degrees off). Best I can figure is to point the arrow on top of the dist pully at the "belt mark" on the flywheel. How am I doing so far?

Laddies

Banned

Your doing it right, just make sure your using a mark on the pulley not on the pulley washer some engines have marks both places and the one on the washer is not for belt alinement

thibauja

Seaman Apprentice

Chris1956 said:
Bass, Here is the troubleshooting post for distributor based ignitions. Clams had posted it, it should get you going.
This test is for the 332-2986 switchbox used from 1967-1978 on all the inlines.

This test assumes your coil is good (most all are).

DISCONNCT BATTERY

1. Turn off ignion
2. Disconnect all 3 wires on the distributor side of the switchbox.
3. Remove the HV lead from the coil to the center cap (remember it unscrews
from cap)
4. Reconnect that HV center lead to the COIL side only.
5. Position that HV lead about about 3/8" from ground (block, shrouds etc)
and find a way to hold it there.
6. Jumber the brown and white terminals on the dist. side of the switchbox
together.

RECONNECT BATTERRY

7. Check that you have +12 V at red terminal.
8. Turn on ignition and verify +12V at white terminal (on red terminal side)
9. Touch the black terminal to ground - unit should cause spark each time
you touch ground.

HI Criss and all ...first of all 2 things about me my first languange is french so excuse my spelling and second this is my first post in a forum..and may i say i love this forum...you guys really helped me i think... i did this test to test my switch box part no 332-2986a22 and i cant get a spark does that meens my switchbox is dead OR my coil is dead ... right ??
i also read thats if it doesnt fire when starting but only spark once when you let go the key switch meens low voltage or bad trigger does that makes sence to you ?
only thing is on my merc 73 850 i think there is no trigger

thanks for any reply..
jack newbie..

thibauja

Seaman Apprentice

oh should i mention... when i turn tyhe switch to start it wont fire but it WILL sparc once when i let go to run..

hum ...shoul i have open an other subject here ?
let em know if i m doing something wrong its my first tiem posting in a forum.. but i sure read them alot.. :)
JT

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

Had the same problem. Put what we the black box in and it run so well that we needed to go to 23 degree pitch.