74' Duo Challenger

ampcarfan

Seaman Apprentice
First off I want to say that this is a great forum. I have been browsing and reading it daily since I picked my new project up last month. The Dou Challenger is not my 1st boat so when I saw it sitting in the yard at a local marine store, I checked it over well and saw a "diamond in the rough" so to speak, I hope..lol. It is a 18' V-hull design similar to a Formula Thundercraft which I suspect may be the same hull as Formula was the parent Co. of Duo until being sold to Starcraft in 75' (which I believe they discontinued the Duo line). The boat seems well built, it has a 165hp I6 and 1st series drive which after I serviced top to bottom, will start cold with a click of the key without pumping the throttle and setting the choke (Gotta love that). It has def had the floor and transom replaced at some point, both seem solid. I guess i'm finally to my question (sorry guys..ha) The transom seems solid, and when I stand on the drive and bounce (I weigh 200lbs), there is no flex or movement around the drive, but the top/middle of the transom, above the ski eye is moving somewhat (maybe 1/8-3/16"tops) and the rub rail doesnt look like it was fastened correctly previously. Is there any suggestions you guys can make short of pulling the cap? I'm not familiar with how that all is secured back there but am sure I'm capable of tackling the job if need be. I do plan on using this boat to ski and tube this summer and the slight flexing is lingering on my mind and in my dreams..lol Any input would be greatly appriciated!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 74' Duo Challenger

Sounds solid! Welcome to iboats!

It also sounds as if the rub rail will have to be pulled and re-installed. Usually the aluminum track is held on place with screws or rivets. Re-inserting the rail into the track is NOT an enjoyable job so with that said...... maybe you will be lucky and only have to remove a section.

Yes the I-6 is a great motor ;)

ampcarfan

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 74' Duo Challenger

Thanks Bob, Doing the inital sea trial tomorrow but will def look a little deeper into that!