73 Sea Ray 190 fuel tank replacement.

OnThe Water

Recruit
Hello all,
I'm a first time boat owner and new to the iBoats community. I've read a few of the Sea Ray rebuilds trying to find out more about my boat and I really like how passionate and supportive the Sea Ray community is so I joined. In May of this year I bought a 1973 Sea Ray SRV 190. The PO got it from a family member and was it sitting for last 10 years. The family has been boating for generations and I bought the Sea Ray from the son. He spent last summer getting the boat is shape for the water and serviced all of the important items and the boat runs and is currently registered. I'm new to boating but I'm a master mechanic so I'm looking forward restoring this boat. I'm really glad to find out I picked a great boat to restore. I used to restore classic muscle cars and really like the lines of the 70's Sea Ray boats. On to the fuel tank, the PO told me that the original fuel tank was disintegrating and had to be replaced. He ran the boat last summer using a five gallon portable tank. He was going to replace the tank and bought a new 40 gallon steel tank but never got it completely installed and just placed it under the helm in the closed bow. Its not connected or plumed and I didn't get the straps or the mounting brackets. My question is where should the tank be mounted in the boat and how? Where is the original fuel tank supposed mounted? I want to make sure where I mount it is safe and is in the optimum position for weight distribution and performance, basically installed correctly.

Best regards, Vince

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9651.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9651.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 3

mtore

Cadet
Hello all,
I'm a first time boat owner and new to the iBoats community. I've read a few of the Sea Ray rebuilds trying to find out more about my boat and I really like how passionate and supportive the Sea Ray community is so I joined. In May of this year I bought a 1973 Sea Ray SRV 190. The PO got it from a family member and was it sitting for last 10 years. The family has been boating for generations and I bought the Sea Ray from the son. He spent last summer getting the boat is shape for the water and serviced all of the important items and the boat runs and is currently registered. I'm new to boating but I'm a master mechanic so I'm looking forward restoring this boat. I'm really glad to find out I picked a great boat to restore. I used to restore classic muscle cars and really like the lines of the 70's Sea Ray boats. On to the fuel tank, the PO told me that the original fuel tank was disintegrating and had to be replaced. He ran the boat last summer using a five gallon portable tank. He was going to replace the tank and bought a new 40 gallon steel tank but never got it completely installed and just placed it under the helm in the closed bow. Its not connected or plumed and I didn't get the straps or the mounting brackets. My question is where should the tank be mounted in the boat and how? Where is the original fuel tank supposed mounted? I want to make sure where I mount it is safe and is in the optimum position for weight distribution and performance, basically installed correctly.

Best regards, Vince
Hi Vince, your fuel tank is located in the floor between the port and starboard seats. It is covered by a plywood floor board that is approximately 53"by 27". My tank capacity is 24 gal. My floor was rotted in my SR180BR and I had to remove the tank to access the stringers. I hope your boat is in better condition than mine. This is the tank after removal from the boat paint work started.

Attachments

• boat tank.jpg
    boat tank.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2