73 85HP Evinrude- NO spark

kpudden

Cadet
Hi all-
I have recently aquired this motor and was told it wasn't firing; i am a "tinkerer" and don't want to send this off and spend a fortune to get it fixed. I purchased a compression tester and a digital multi-meter. So far, i have tested each plug (new) and could not get even a mild spark to show... I have tested the rectifier per Engine FAQ's section and have validated that it is working correctly. I have also checked compression, all cylinders are between 118 and 122 PSI. I have looked under the flywheel and noticed the green epoxy is melted around the Stator (need puller to get flywheel off) :mad: i plan on replacing the Stator and rebuilding the carbs later this week.

What is the next test for no spark? Thanks!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 85HP Evinrude- NO spark

Your motor needs to turn 300RPM to fire the ignition, so you want to test for spark with a fully charged battery and all of the spark plugs removed. If you get fire it should be at 7/16" +/- gap with a sharp blue snap. Testers run a variety of designs from a simple board and nails to a CDI sealed unit: http://www.iboats.com/CDI_Spark_Gap...11940588--**********.388105774--view_id.38089

If you don't get spark in that way, disconnect the black and yellow kill wire at the powerpack and try it again.

kpudden

Cadet

Ezeke,

I have a new 1000 CCA battery, and based on some of yours and others previous posts, i connected a charger to the battery to be certain that i am getting 300 rpm. All plugs removed, no visible spark. Disconnected black/yellow wire from Power Pack, still nothing. Now what?

Thanks,
Kyle

kpudden

Cadet

Still working on the spark issue, have ruled out the first two checks. Seperately, i bought a gear puller to pull the flywheel and cannot get it off. Other than the nut on the top, what else is holding it down. I know there is a key, but it shouldn't be holding it down? i sprayed some lube on the threads a day ago, so i wasn't expecting any issues. Help please.

iwombat

Captain

Gear puller, or harmonic balancer puller? (Don't use a gear puller!)

If you've got the right puller, tighten it down as hard as you can, and whap the top of the center screw with a hammer. They usually pop right off after that.

kpudden

Cadet

Harmonic Balancer puller. I got it off finally, just wanted to be sure i didn't screw it up. Stator has oozed green epoxy like i suspected...this is a certain indicator that it needs replaced? Also, i am getting a reading of 747 ohms between my brown and brown/yellow wires at the Pack. Troubleshooting guide indicates 500 ohms is the target. I guess this really doesn't matter if i am going to replace my Stator, i just don't want to throw cash at this thing unless it is necessary! unless i am testing the wrong way, i am not getting any voltage at the pack (brown and brown/yellow wires connected to Pack) while cranking? Sure sign the Stator is fried? Last question for now...what is the "Timer Base"? I have a manual coming, but its not here yet :(

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the swivel base the stator is mounted too. the whole thing turns for spark advance.

kpudden

Cadet

I understand that the Stator swivels, but i still don't understand how this is pertinent to my questions...Thanks.