'72 Starcraft Mariner 14 Rebuild

foxjohnc03

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As some of you may know I purchased this boat and trailer last year for $125. Last winter I rebuilt the trailer and it turned out great. The boat originally had a bench in the front and back and a console in the center on the r/h side. The seats, flooring, and console are gone so I am reconstructing this beast. I am planning on using soda bottles filled with compressed air and some with foam as floatation. I really dont feel like dealing with rot anymore so I am planning on replacing the floor with another material. The transom is in fine shape so I will deal with it later. I wish to use 1/4 aluminum to build the floor, front and rear casting decks and console. I know that it will be expensive but I hate rot that much. I will be mig welding it all together and to the hull. Does this job sound feasible? Is it even a good idea? I have a cherry '71 Evinrude Ski Twin 40 that will be going on the back. Am ready to get supplies and start today. When I am financially able, I will be beginning this endeavor.

G DANE

Commander
Re: '72 Starcraft Mariner 14 Rebuild

Hey - good to see som alternative thinking. I would calculate the weight of the aluminium first, 1/4" aluminium sheet sounds a bit heavy to mee. Why not consider glass fiber sheets - light and no rot. You can even get some composite plates. I think some on this board will know a few good solutions for sure.

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '72 Starcraft Mariner 14 Rebuild

Aluminum deck! I like it!! I am also restoring a Starcraft 14ft Mariner, although I am going back with the conventional wooden floor (I had to go with what I can work with!). I suspect your aluminum deck will work out fine. Be sure you give it enough support. I don't know how much 1/4 inch aluminum would flex.
While restoring this boat, I have decided to change the interior up a little, turning it into a dual console with, ultimately, a front and rear casting deck. I wish I could offer you some advice, but it seems like you are well on your way. I am in the process of repainting the hull now, and will then flip the boat back on the trailer and go back with the floor. I hope to be finished by Memorial Day.

good luck on your project, and drop a line to let us know your progress!!