'72 Merc 500 rebuild candidate or anchor?

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
501
I used this Merc for 15 minutes before it made a horrible sound and siezed up solid. That was about a year ago and at that time I deemed it dead, but with time I started to wonder about it and decided to check it out today. It looks like it is indeed a dud. The other pistons look good and move now, the rod seems to have snapped on this one. What do you think, is the damage too deep for a rebuild? I'm still going to take this apart because I'm curious what caused this.<br />
1546.jpg
 

Clams Canino

Commander
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
2,179
Re: '72 Merc 500 rebuild candidate or anchor?

Check inside to see how bad the bore is. All the parts for that motor are cheaply available.<br /><br />-W
 

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
501
Re: '72 Merc 500 rebuild candidate or anchor?

Any way to get the PH off the casing without a lifting ring? I tried bolting the transom bolts to a stand and pulling the powerhead up with my arms but couldn't make it budge. My other 50's powerhead just lifted off when I unbolted it.<br />Eric
 

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Dec 12, 2004
Messages
1,533
Re: '72 Merc 500 rebuild candidate or anchor?

Did you drop the lower unit 1st? That makes it significantly easier.
 

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
501
Re: '72 Merc 500 rebuild candidate or anchor?

yup
 

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
501
Re: '72 Merc 500 rebuild candidate or anchor?

How deep is too deep to be bored? Could I bore it a bit to make it less rough and just live with some huge gashes and low compression or will it self destruct? It was caused by a bearing failure, all the rollers fell into the cylinder and became one with the piston and a couple were stuck in the cylinder wall but I got them out with a toothpick.
 

ZmOz

Captain
Joined
Aug 13, 2003
Messages
3,949
Re: '72 Merc 500 rebuild candidate or anchor?

My 1500 looked like that and still ran fine until the distributor seized. :D
 

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
501
Re: '72 Merc 500 rebuild candidate or anchor?

Haha, I hope you're not serious, those are chunks of my cam bearing. If you ran it like that I'm amazed the distributor would be the issue. :p
 

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
501
Re: '72 Merc 500 rebuild candidate or anchor?

That piston is a good paperwieght though. I should put a sign on it saying something like "Have you cleaned your carbs lately"
 
Top