72 6hp fisherman 6202d gearbox question

blackpearl1

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
8
I am looking at purchasing a 72 6hp fisherman. The gearbox is missing the water by-pass cover (pt #0304579). When I went online to check availability of this part, all sites are showing partr as obsolete and offer no other part numbers for replacement. My question, as a newbie in the outboard motor world, what is the h20 bypass in the gearbox, and do I need this cover for the motor to work? Could i simply place a piece of aluminum/metal over the hole and epoxy or weld it shut? Also, the rest of the motor looks sound and evrything feels free (not locked up) unfortunately hasn't run in a while and no way to test it from seller. What is a fair price to pay for something like this, it is also missing the 4 expensive little bolts that hold the lower unit to the gearbox. Appears to be missing an air filter or something to the left rear of the fly wheel. All other parts seem to be in order, appears lubed, greased and stored indoors properly.

Looking for guidance and insight please.

Thank you,
Black Pearl
 

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
5,197
Re: 72 6hp fisherman 6202d gearbox question

50 bucks.
Yes, you can put a piece of aluminum in for the bypass, but it needs to have some small holes drilled in it.
If you look at the top of this forum, in the "Top Secret Thread" there is a list of salvage yards that will most likely have the parts that you need.
 

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jun 21, 2007
Messages
10,486
Re: 72 6hp fisherman 6202d gearbox question

Well the cover has holes in it, which allow cooling water to enter the water pump when in reverse, so I wouldnt seal it up. If you dont care about asthetics, you could simply cut a piece of sheet metal to fit, drill a hole in either end to screw it to the gearcase, then drill some holes in it for the water flow. OR you could post a wanted ad in the webvertize of aomci.org....OR call the salvage yards listed in the Top Secret Files or FAQS.

Really just a parts motor, if it doesnt run. I personally would offer like under $100 and see what happens.

EDIT: Got beat to it, take his advise of offering 50 bucks, even better if you get it.
 

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
8,958
Re: 72 6hp fisherman 6202d gearbox question

You need that part there, it helps deliver water to the pump in reverse.
With the engine tore down and you don't know if it is complete, it's a parts motor.
I bought one almost like the one you are looking at for $50.00.
I guess it depends on how much work and scrounging for parts you want to do.
 

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
May 16, 2012
Messages
229
Re: 72 6hp fisherman 6202d gearbox question

Sounds like the exhaust cover is missing too and that is also very much needed. If you are thinking of buying it I wouldn't pay much at all.
 

blackpearl1

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
8
Re: 72 6hp fisherman 6202d gearbox question

Thanks guys! Seller is asking $200 which I wasn't going to pay for something not running except on hear say. I was thinking $50 as well, but didn't want to seem like a jerk for offering $50 for it if it was worth more. I don't mind fixing it to use and will check out the "Top Secret Thread". I appreciate the advice and quick responses!

Thanks again!
Black Pearl
 

nwcove

Admiral
Joined
May 16, 2011
Messages
6,293
Re: 72 6hp fisherman 6202d gearbox question

the odd n ends the motor is missing can still be found ( top secret file...salvage yards). jmo, unless the motor is being sold for next to free, you may want to avoid it. a compression test is a must. the missing bolts can be purchased at your local hardware store for a fraction of the oe cost. its not worth much in its current state.....$50 would be my best offer, and that would be taking a chance on wasting 50 or spending more on it than buying a runner for a few more bucks.
 

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
May 16, 2012
Messages
229
Re: 72 6hp fisherman 6202d gearbox question

If you do decide to get it, this place is a great resource for those motors.
 
Top