72 100hp

inunishi

Cadet
This is my first boat so be gentle. How do I know if my water pump is working?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I believe water should come out of the exhaust reliefs on the back of the motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Golden rule of outboard ownership.----If you just bought a motor or do not know how old the impeller is , then install a new one.------The lower unit is electric shift on that motor .---Great / reliable design.---It requires a " type-C oil " also called " premium blend " by BRP products.

inunishi

Cadet
Thanks for the info. The guy before me replaced the impeller last spring, I saw him do it. Thanks for the info on oil.

inunishi

Cadet
I got the muffs on and had water running out the exhaust (center of prop). Tried looking at water passages on-line and could not figure it out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Don't fret about it till you know there is a problem. By that, I mean get it in the water where it was designed to run. Muffs don't tell you anything. But if it is coming out the prop, it most likely is going through the powerhead.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Didn't the PO test run it after installing the new impeller? If you run it on muffs (idle only), hold your hand behind the ports on the back of the leg -- should get a light spray. (In the water at speeds, the flow becomes fairly heavy.) The top of the heads should never be too hot to touch if water is circulating properly. It's hose pressure pushing water up to the head, though, so no test of the water pump as mentioned above.

inunishi

Cadet
The boat was on the water after the new impeller was installed. I am probability being paranoid just don't have money for new motor.

Is there any way to install temp gauge on an older motor?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The boat was on the water after the new impeller was installed. I am probability being paranoid just don't have money for new motor.

Is there any way to install temp gauge on an older motor?

Sure, they got 'em here at iboats. But you already have an overheat warning horn in your control. It is supposed to sound off when the motor is already overheated. A temp gauge is fine, if you are looking at it. You can use both.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Time to test that horn in the control box.----Find the tan wire at the cylinder head.----Slide the rubber cover off the connecter.----Now turn the key to " on " at control box.----Now touch the bare connecter to a cylinder head bolt.----Horn should sound.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
+1 on the warning horn/light.

Gauge can be a good addition as well. I used one on a ’70 version of your motor. Trick is not to be obsessed with gauge watching — but can get a clear sense of the heat range using a gauge (surface temp sensor/sender that goes under one of the existing bolts).

If it works for you to get the confidence you need, an infrared gun can do the trick instead of a gauge — just periodic checks to check the range.

inunishi

Cadet
When the rain stops I will check the tan wire on the head. Thanks for all the help. Would love a warning horn to work.

inunishi

Cadet
Found a tan wire. Have not shorted the wire to motor yet. Where is the buzzer located?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Grounding that wire will verify the circuit to the control box horn, but then there is the matter of the overheat switch being any good