'71 Starcraft Jupiter V w/ '85 Mercury 2-stroke bored to 118hp specs

So I aquired this boat from my dad who bought it from a friend of my mom at least nine years ago. I've wakeboarded and tubed off this thing and I know it's a good boat, but it has been deadlined for several years now. It's in really good shape for its age I should say, but my mission here is to take it back to looking mostly original with the added benefit of the technology, products, and experience that have come about now in the twenty-first century.

I'm sure there is some rot in the deck, although my foot doesn't sink in to it like the veneers are seperating. Some carpeting looks aftermarket and of minimal quality. Some originally installed components could use improvement such as the cabin doors with their faux-wood vinyl covering or the electrical system in general. The paint is chipping all along the hull with what looks like a cheap aftermarket paint job. There is a pretty clear distinction between the chipping stuff and what is still adhered to the aluminum, although it could just be the primer that's under there.

My dad pulled the 75 Johnson off a few years ago, rebuilt the transom and put in an '85 85HP Mercury bored to the displacement specs of a 118HP; at least that's the story.

What I've done so far:
Moved the axle on the trailer up 2' to center the load since the trailer was originally built for a 22'er
Greased the wheel bearings
installed a rebuilt starter, new plugs, and new linkage cables
Realigned the lower unit with the upper controls

What I have left:
pretty much EVERYTHING

My experience with boat rebuilds as it stands is at zero, but I also have six years of knowledge and experience as a gas, diesel, hydraulic, electrical, chassis and body shop mechanic. Some areas are stronger than others, but my concepts are strong and my determination is great. My life is busy, my time is little, but this is a project that will reap great rewards.

For the shout-outs, there are a few people on iboats I've read their blogs and gained many ideas and knowledge from over the last few months: North Beach, CheapboatKev, Andy In NY, Rickairmedic, Huron Angler, and ezmobee. I'm sure I will learn from many others as well as I take on this challenge.

Quality pictures are to come in the next week I assure you.

Re: '71 Starcraft Jupiter V w/ '85 Mercury 2-stroke bored to 118hp specs

A question I have for my future Starcraft brothers regards the original boat cover. Of course there are the snaps that are over the windshield and gunwale, but there are two chromed slots just behind the seats on each side spaced about 2' from each other that look like they held a plank or bow in them to lift the cover above horizontal. Does anyone have any pictures of a boat with an original cover on it or do any of you know for sure what the assembly was on this? As it is, I have a tarp covering the boat and it fills with water everytime it rains. A new cover is my first objective as that will allow me to secure the boat to a degree in the innner city I live in. Help?

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

welcome to Iboats, the knowledge here is invaluable. Many guys here willing to help. Pics are a definite plus. A lot of us use photobucket or some sort of host site for the pics/resize them and link them to here.

Good luck with the project. having an 85 with the hp of a 118, sounds to go to be true, but until I know different, I trust your judgement. large hp in small package:cool:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome and can't wait for the pics. I had pretty darn good luck with a Wal-mart cover. It was cheap and kept the boat very dry.

bananaboater

Ensign

A question I have for my future Starcraft brothers regards the original boat cover. Of course there are the snaps that are over the windshield and gunwale, but there are two chromed slots just behind the seats on each side spaced about 2' from each other that look like they held a plank or bow in them to lift the cover above horizontal. Does anyone have any pictures of a boat with an original cover on it or do any of you know for sure what the assembly was on this? As it is, I have a tarp covering the boat and it fills with water everytime it rains. A new cover is my first objective as that will allow me to secure the boat to a degree in the innner city I live in. Help?

Welcome. Those are called bow brackets. You are right, flat boards are designed to pop into them in a "bow" with the curve up so stuff falls off instead of pooling in a sagged cover. IBOATS sells them.

http://www.iboats.com/Fiberglass-Bo...86026583--**********.416381697--view_id.40187

I recently bought 4 brackets on ebay but have not installed them yet, waiting to get my new seats situated. Then I will buy the "bows."

Looking forward to seeing pics.

Last edited:

Well I haven't seen this particular engine in action unless you count the time I started it up while it was dipped in a really big trash can outside the garage for half a minute. We'll see how this large hp does. I'm just hoping the years of unuse will not have affected it when it comes time to push the small package.

And bananaboater; much thanks for that info. I was considering cutting, then soaking and warping some wood boards to accomplish the bow. $25 is much easier. I knew this forum would bring in the pros.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Welcome to the insane asylum Christian!
There are a lot of great guys on here, and I am sure we have all learned together as we are all in this together!
I look forward to seeing your pics and progress..pics..pics..If you have read a bit, you will know we are pic-aholics..lol

I look fwd to learning from you as well...;)

I have the pictures. I'm now wondering what image size to make them though. I read somewhere that it was 640? by something? I know you guys often put them on to photobucket and post the link, but I kind of liked how easy it was reading some when I was able to just scroll down and see without having to open another window for each picture or waiting for the photobucket site to load. So, what's the size?..

Here they are.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I still have a bunch of stuff loaded onto it from the drive up from AR I need to pull off, but that will happen once I get the new cover on there. It's going to go slow at first, but organizing more of my time will allow me to pick up some speed.

My uncle got a new custom cover made for his glass boat by this amish guy that lives about an hour and a half away for something like $300 or $400. I saw that iboats sells covers that say they're kind of specific to each make and model. I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with buying through them? I did have one of those walmart covers on but it got shredded on the drive up here. I think something absolutely professional and durable is in order.

For the engine, everything is there. The cover is just on the floor and all I need is a new cam for the mercontroller. One of the pieces of lead in the detents is missing and you have to buy the cam altogether to do anything about it. That's the other simultaneous mission for now.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Awesome little rig you have there!! Welcome to the hood!:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking boat. I like the bow rail. My Jup didn't have one. That is some gauge cluster on there! For the cover, I bought a Westland one with a pocket in it for the outboard that fit quite well. I think it was a semi-custom one for a 16' runabout style boat.

I fixed up your signature for you to make the link to your resto thread work.

I took a few more pictures today; a little more detail to a couple things that need work.
This first one is the original plate. I'm not exactly sure if this Jupiter is actually a '71. Maybe some of you know better than I do?
picture.php

The state of the seats. THis vinyl gets HOT in the summer!
picture.php

The right side of the controls.
picture.php

The far left side
picture.php

And the instrument cluster in more detail (Thanks for the compliment ez! And thanks for the hyperlink)
picture.php

The 'cabin'
picture.php

Another view
picture.php

bananaboater

Ensign

Didn't I see that instrument cluster on the Jetsons? Love it.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man that instrument is the cats meow! I hope you can restore all that gear, it's awesome!

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

sweet little ride, that'll be a cool project.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I like your Jupiter:) That will be a nice project and I have to agree that those gauges look sweeeeet:D

Good luck with the project, I hope you are able to make time to get her on the water this summer!

redfury

Commander

always liked the dash on that boat. Someone else here redid that dash and made that lower shelf on the dash out of some really nice looking wood. That's the problem with bow riders, you don't get to have the sweet "full dash" aspect. Ah, the pro's and con's...