71 Merc 135 won't start

jschatz

Recruit
My 1971 135 HP Mercury in-line 6 outboard won't start. It "almost" turns over but won't. This motor is new to me and I'm not sure if I'm priming it or choking it right. I'm also unsure what the black lever on the top of the controls is for. Does the choke button need to be held down or "clicked"? Thanks in advance for any help<br /><br />------------------<br />Jeff Schatz<br />jschatz@columbus.rr.com

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 71 Merc 135 won't start

Hi Jschatz,<br />To start a 135hp<br />1)pump gas to carbs with primer bulb.<br />2) lift the cold start lever,the black lever on the starboard side of the control box.<br />3) push choke button down and hold it, you should only hear 1 click.<br />4)turn motor over with the key.<br />5)when it starts to fire release choke.<br />6)when it is running move the cold start lever from full forward back down to its locked position beside choke button.<br /><br />You should be funning now. BTW don,t crank on the starter for more than 10 sec at a time.It over heats it. Hope it helps.<br />...have fun...corm