71 evinrude 25hp have spark, 120 psi comp.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
I decided to compression test this motor I bought for parts years ago. 105 top 115 bottom. After a bit of oil left in it overnight 120 on both. No spark though. The points were ugly and one set not opening. So I tested coils condenser and cleaned and set points to .020. Bright blue white spark on both now. So I tried spraying some 50:1 in the carb throat. Nothing. Not even a thought of a kick. I stole the plugs out of my good running 20.. no change. I thought it might at least sneeze or fire a bit. Ideas where to go next?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Put a few drops directly into the cylinders via the sparkplug hole.------If you have spark that jumps a gap of 1/4" or more it should bark like a dog when you pull the cord.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Put a few drops directly into the cylinders via the sparkplug hole.------If you have spark that jumps a gap of 1/4" or more it should bark like a dog when you pull the cord.

It barked and now will bark with fuel spray, but acting like it's locking on fuel (I'm not giving it much) and backfiring out the exhaust. I manipulated the plug wires to opposite plugs and it sorta behaves the same.. lol. I put them back where they belong and will do the Reeves link and synch and then look at reed valves I guess.

It has electric start which was why I grabbed it.. it's what's buying it time now. Lol

Tourtney

Seaman Apprentice
Double check your points measurement it’s gotta be the specified measurement or less because points tend to open over time and make sure they are clean because they have to ground out. Use either card stock or folded paper soaked in mineral spirits or similar as well as extremely fine sandpaper (P400 or higher) if need be. Points can be very finicky.