71 Boston Whaler center console

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdowning8

Cadet
I am interested in a 1971 17 ft Boston Whaler with a center console. It has a rebuilt 1983 90 HP Johnson motor. I have heard of the rep these boats have. Are they that good. In addition everytime a see one priced they seem to be 40-80 % higher than other boats that size. What would be a fair price for this boat with no electronics and a drive on trailer? This boat has not been advertized yet.

mbrueck

Cadet
Re: 71 Boston Whaler center console

I've recently owned a '68 13'er and my parents had a mid '70s 17'er when I was a teenager. Personally, I only bought the 13' because I got it for a great price (1000 for boat, working motor and trailer). I think the 13' whaler is better and more capable than most other 13' boats, but there are a lot of other 17' boats I'd prefer over the 17' whaler.<br /><br />Strengths for the Montauk:<br />1. Lots of usable fishing room or people room for it's size.<br />2. High sides (actually a low sole, so they were not self bailing).<br />3. Looks good if you have the mahogony bench and console.<br /><br />Weaknesses:<br />1. Rough ride with the tri-hull.<br />2. It didn't like to be anchored in rough weather. Water would come over the bow in a rough chop.<br /><br />From your location, I assume you'll be using the boat in semi-protected waters. It would probably make a good fishing/family boat for large lakes and rivers. I wouldn't buy it if you're planning on taking it to the coast for fishing, there's better boats for that. You'd be better off with a 17' Cobia or Aquasport.<br /><br />I'll probably hear it for not praising the boat, most Boston Whaler fans tend to be pretty diehard. But I just wasn't impressed with our 17' boat.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I find a Mako of the same year thru the early 80s to be a much better boat for the money.The Mako will cost less and ride much better.The Quality is without a doubt comparable.Charlie

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have had a number of Whalers, JDowning, including a '66 Sakonnet 16 and a '80 Montauk 17.<br /><br />They are every bit as good (and as bad) as their reputation.<br /><br />With even minor maintenance, they last forever.<br />They are without peer as a seaworthy 16'7" boat.<br />They are light and fast for their size.<br />They are the safest boat made, period.<br /><br />Driven recklessly, they pound and get you wet.<br />They cost more when new and they cost more when they are 32 years old.<br />If you have one of the beautiful mahogany interior boats, you need to maintain the wood.<br /><br />Many boats in that size range are cheaper and ride better in a chop.<br /><br />Seaworthy boats are boats that will bring you home in harsh conditions. You may get wet and your kidneys may be between your shoulders, but you are safe. If you are an expert helmsman you might even be comfortable.<br /><br />I would take no other 16-17 boat into conditions that my Whalers have brought me through unscathed.<br /><br />If it is a Sakonnet or a Nauset in decent shape it is worth $3,000. If it is pristine, it is worth $6,000 to $8,000.<br /><br />You can get more info and identify the model at www.continuouswave.com.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Six year old thread, keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.