'71 9.8 impeller replacement

riverjet502

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK guys

I was given a 71 9.8 merc. Just wondering... is the water pump impeller as easy to replace as it is on the same ara Jonny-Rude's? My question is does the shift linkage disconnect in the same manner as the Jonny-Rude's of the same ara with mechanical shift? It looks like merc uses a shift block on the linkage as well? Then the lower unit drops down off the lower housing. Or am I thinking wrong here.

8075mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '71 9.8 impeller replacement

I suggest:
*remove spark plugs
*shift in forward
*remove nut under anticavitation plate
*loosen nut on leading edge right above lower unit (on a lower unit stud that goes through the mid section)
*drop the lower unit a little and finish getting leading edge nut off, then remove lower unit
*remove water pump impeller cover
*pull out the old water pump, watch for and catch key to prevent falling in lower unit
*grease on key to position it, grease water pump to ease installation
*impeller turns clockwise as viewed from above. to install, position about 1/8 turn counterclockwise from the key. push down and twist clockwise to drop the impeller in the hole and hit the key (a little tricky and may take a few times)
*reassemble, you may have to jiggle the shifter and flywheel to get the two flats on the shift rods to line up (forward is flat facing aft) and the splines to align on the drive shaft and crank.

A Seloc or factory manual off ebay shows photos of all this.
Good luck!!

riverjet502

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '71 9.8 impeller replacement

Thanks for the info...its appreciated...