70hp evinrude power issue

erie2009

Recruit
Re: 70hp evinrude power issue

I've got a problem that sounds similar to yours. Any input would help:

I've got a 1982 70 hp evinrude. It starts good. Sounds good at idle. Last week went out and it wouldn't get over 7 mph. RPM's only about 2500 and engine sounded bogged down. Replaced primer bulb, took it out a couple days ago and ran great for 10 minute trip out, shut it down, fished for 30 minutes. Started up again and ran good for another 10 minutes. I went to take off again and it dropped down on RPM's and was bogged down. Yesterday, I replaced the hose fittings on both ends of the fuel line and the same thing happened. It ran great for two 10 minute trips, then went to come back in and it wouldn't get up to power. Pumping the primer bulb while running doesn't do anything. It seems to rev up every 5 seconds or so for a split second and then drops back down. Water seems to be flowing good. I changed out the lower gear unit oil and it seemed okay. It does drip excess oil from behind the prop, but it doesn't match the lower gear unit oil so I figure it must be unburned oil from the mix. Any guesses?

mps1202@aol.com

Recruit

i also have a 81 70hp evinrude and it bogs on the muffs the compression is good on all three cylinders and the carbs are clean fuel pump and pumper bulb replaced i found one coil shooting fire out and replaced it but still cant seem to get the miss out i spray fuel in all three cylinders and it floods the engine i open the throttle and fuel builds up on the inside of them and it really starts to smoke out the exhaust what can it be im at my wits end please help you can email me at mps1202@aol.com thanks

Arykeion

Seaman Apprentice

It's probably idled too low or u might have something stuck in your reed valves or sticking. Check reed valves behind carbs and idle your motor up a little.