70 HP Evinrude seems to run hot?

djwalters

Cadet
I have a 1984 70HP Evinrude that when hooked up to a garden hose and adapter puts out much hotter water than a 1971 60HP Evinrude I have? I'm talking the difference of luke warm water on the 60HP and hard to hold your under the water temp on the 70HP? The last time I used the boat, it quit running for a while then started up again later on. Maybe after cooling down? I thought it was an old gas problem as to why it stopped. How can I tell what temp. it is running at? And what water temp. coming out while on test hose should be OK? Thanks so much guys. Dave

ANDREW SMITH

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 70 HP Evinrude seems to run hot?

Dave, the T-stat for most of these 3 cylinder engines opens at 143F. That means the cooling water will be HOT!. If you can hold your hand on the head for a three count, then the engine is cooling normally. I would advise against operating your engine on muffs over 3000rpm or more than 2 or three minutes. Good luck!

D

DJ

djwalters,<br /><br />Agree, the loopers can run a little warm on the "muffs". The cylinder head, top cylinder, "feel" test is a good one.<br /><br />The '71' model may have a stuck open thermostat. Not good. Cold will kill it, just as sure as heat. It just takes longer.<br /><br />The cyl. head temp should be about 145 degrees on both.<br /><br />Borrow one of those infrared heat guns and check them.<br /><br />Rebel's right. Don't rev them on the muffs.

djwalters

Cadet

That's great info guys. I never considered the 60HP was running too cool. I did the feel the head test on both, and the 70HP seemed OK while the 60HP did seem exceptionally cool. I thought that was good. The 60HP did sit for 8years so the thermostat could very well be stuck open. How can this be tested/ corrected? Thanks so much for the help, Dave

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like you've alread tested it!<br /><br />For correction, fit a new one.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If either or both of these motors are new to you put a new water pump in.