70, 63HP Evinrude won't kick into high gear.

Phil Miller

Cadet
I just came off the lake and my 70, 60hp Evinrude is doing about the same thing. It seemed to do better when it was cold, then it got worse. Every now and then it would have a burst of energy and take off, but most of the time I was at 3/4 speed. It feels like it wants to jump into high gear, but is being pulled back by the load, (I've put on some weight). Carbs have not been reworked in a long time -- should I look that direction, or should I look at the fuel delivery system below the carbs?<br /><br />Observation: Motor seems to being running extra cool. Can keep my hand on the block.<br />Lennyloafer

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 70, 63HP Evinrude won't kick into high gear.

Lenny - I would go for a rebuild of the carbs and put in new t-stats to go after the running cool.

fireman57

Captain

Check for spark when it does this. You may have a coil breaking down at high temp.

fireman57

Captain

When it drops in speed get to idle and shut it off. Pull a plug and see if it is wet. That would indicate that it is not firing. If you have a real good buddy he can attach a timing light to the different wires while you are underway and see which ones he gets a spark to.

Phil Miller

Cadet

I pulled all three spark plugs earlier this morning and they were all three wet. What does that mean, if anything, becuase it runs, just not at top speed?

fireman57

Captain

Was the engine warm? Intermittent problems are the toughest to fix. They don't cooperate with you. If the plugs are burning properly they should be a rich chocolate brown. If they are black and oily they might not be firing. If they are white it is too lean. When the problem happens if you are firing unevenly you should have a plug that is wet with fuel while the others should be dry. <br />You might also check your high speed jet in the carb for some trash. If there is stuff in your carb bowl put an inline filter on. Saw them today at Autozone for 2.99.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Pull the plugs after running again.If they all have the same color,I don't think you have a spark problem.Actually not a carb problem either.<br />Next time it occurs,try squeezing the primer bulb.If that helps,maybe a bad fuel pump.<br />DHP

Phil Miller

Cadet

I'll check out what you mentioned, Fireman. You too, DHP, the pump looks good from a visual inspection standpoint, but it hasn't been replaced in twleve years.<br />Lenny

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

If you still have an original amplifier, you could be getting a weak spark. Do the timing light thing. But hopefully it's a carb.

RyanMcRae

Recruit

This may sound dumb but I had the same problem with my '63 65hp johnson. Check the spark plug wires and make sure they are in the right order. You just might be over thinking the problem.