7.4L- Should I bore it out??

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: 7.4L- Should I bore it out??

mischief managed said:
You can bore it .030" over, put in a stroker crank (4.250") and shorter rods (6.385") and make it an 8.1. That would dramatically improve power, for not much money.

Except that the 454 and the 8.1 have nothing in common at all, and are completely different engine blocks, about 30 years apart technology wise.

What your confusing yourself with turning a 454 into an 8.2 liter 502. And aside from blowing up the sterndrive, 502's do not work that well in marine applications anyways.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I guess I should have added "compared to the 496"

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The casting number on the head is 10114156. So does that mean it is a magnum. If so, is there anything that I could do to it. I would assume that a bravo out drive doesnt just fit in with out changing the whole gimble housing correct?

alldodge

Staff member

I guess I should have added "compared to the 496"

I'd still just about do the same thing. The 502 is petty much bullet proof, and while the 496 is a very good motor, it will take a bit more time to prove it can run worry free.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Except that the 454 and the 8.1 have nothing in common at all, and are completely different engine blocks, about 30 years apart technology wise.

What your confusing yourself with turning a 454 into an 8.2 liter 502. And aside from blowing up the sterndrive, 502's do not work that well in marine applications anyways.

tell that to Mercury who has been running 502's as their 525hp for many years, and the 425hp since the demise of the 8.1 in 2009

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am thinking that the crank need replaced anyways the bearing surface is not smooth if your finger nail across it. So should I go with a crank from a 502?

alldodge

Staff member

I am thinking that the crank need replaced anyways the bearing surface is not smooth if your finger nail across it. So should I go with a crank from a 502?

No, you need a 454 (7.4) crank. Just like the block can be bored and new pistons installed, the crank can be turned down .010, .020 and .030 under size. Your machinist once he/she determines how much to take down they bearings can be ordered and your good.

You have a 454, just stick with it and don't do any other changing

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What about the cam, can I replace it with something else. Or should i just rebuild what I have.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

tell that to Mercury who has been running 502's as their 525hp for many years, and the 425hp since the demise of the 8.1 in 2009

Mercury uses them because that's what Mercury can get their hands on.

525EFI's are Mercury Racing engines, and not mass production engines.
The current 8.2 engines are 430 horsepower, in the form of the 8.2 MAG
Interesting to note that the 525EFI engines are rated at the crank, the mass productions engines are rated at the prop.

Volvo decided to not use the 8.2 available to them as well, and they are getting 430 horsepower out of the 6.0 liter engine.

Other than that. 502's are heavy, have Siamese cylinders, they do not make the same torque as a 496, and still to this day have reversion issues because they have to run such a hot cam to get the kind of power they are looking for out of them. You should see the amount of 02 sensors that get replaced every year because of it.

The 496 is/was a bit lighter, made more torque down low, got better fuel economy, and does not have the reversion issues. And if you take 2 identical boats, and stick a 496 420hp and a 502 MAG 430hp in the other, and everything else is the same, the 496 is going to outperform it. The whole point of the 496 from the get go was to have diesel engine torque in a gasoline engine. The 502 is just a punched out 30 year old big block.

Other than that, there is still a bit of NOS 496's out there, and you can still get new 8.1's if you want to, and however you want it, through PSI.

Of course these are just my opinions... And your all welcome to your own. =)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Do your heads look like this notice the oval port..vs square...
IMG-20111009-00324.jpg

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

What about the cam, can I replace it with something else. Or should i just rebuild what I have.

As others have previously mentioned you probably want to stay about where you are so far as power. You probably have standard hydraulic lifters and cam. Reusing the cam isn't bad and will work quite well. You could go to a roller cam but this would cost more money for little benefit from being unable to increase HP much. I would suggest having the machine shop look over the cam and if it is within specs, just reuse.

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes they are oval ports, the cam is stock. I appreciate all the info. Sounds like I should just stay with what I have. I should be able to get to a machine shop next week I will post what i find out.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes they are oval ports, the cam is stock. I appreciate all the info. Sounds like I should just stay with what I have. I should be able to get to a machine shop next week I will post what i find out.

Yes your heads limit what can be done to that engine type..it can be built to about 425hp but it would take some head work larger valve's.. springs...cam intake and exhaust...and then your rev limited by the cast internals

Walt T

Lieutenant

I am aghast at the number of owners who just 'Re ring' motors and don't bother to Mic it. Why even bother? Do it right, have it bored and fully checked out by a machine shop. The 'Stroker' build is a good one.

wrench 3

Commander

I would assume that a bravo out drive doesnt just fit in with out changing the whole gimble housing correct?

Not only that but you also need a whole lot of odds and ends, such as a water pump, pump mounting brackets, trim rams, etc.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Well, I was wrong about the 8.1 liter displacement, but you are wrong as well.

You can't bore out a 454 to make a 502. The block won't allow it. Also, a 502 has a 4" stroke, the same as a 454...

I was wrong because a .030" overbore and a 4.25" stroke in a 454 gives 489 CI (8.01 liters), not 496 CI (8.1 liters, which requires a .060" overbore).

I agree that a stock 8.1 and a stock 7.4 share nothing in common, but a bored and stroked 7.4 that has 8.1 liters of displacement shares the same displacement as a stock 8.1, though not the same bore and stroke.

klawton55

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am disassembling the heads but had a question. there is a "cage" for lack of a better term, around the springs. I was wondering if this had to be put back in the same position as it is now. I has a slot on one side, is the slot supposed to go in a particular direction. I know that is a terrible description, I tried to post a pic but am not having success.

alldodge

Staff member

I am disassembling the heads but had a question. there is a "cage" for lack of a better term, around the springs. I was wondering if this had to be put back in the same position as it is now. I has a slot on one side, is the slot supposed to go in a particular direction. I know that is a terrible description, I tried to post a pic but am not having success.

Does it look like double springs as in the link below
COMP Cams? - Valve Spring Tech